Position is expected to begin approximately July 2018 or as mutually acceptable. Renewal of appointment is dependent on performance, program needs and/or availability of funds. To know more about the School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene, go to: http://www.nursing.hawaii.edu/home
Duties and Responsibilities
Counsels prospective and current applicants on admission policies and processes and assists with communicating progression requirements.
Responsible for preparing admission/application materials, information brochures, and catalog. Responsible for developing and maintaining new informational resources.
Designs, implements, and executes mailings, electronic correspondence, and other communications to applicants.
Analyzes and advises the Director and Admission/Student Affairs Committees about trends.
Responsible for developing, maintaining, and coordinating new student orientations.
Corresponds with prospective students regarding admissions and pre-enrollment policies, procedures, and issues.
Advises students on current school and campus academic regulations.
Monitors student progress toward degree and conducts degree requirement checks for graduation.
Communicates with campus and systemwide student service departments and offices to maintain effective working relationships and identify best practices in student support services.
Develops new process management and services at the direction of Director.
Collects and analyzes student data including the completion of student services surveys and information requests, and prepares reports and recommendations to the Director.
Conducts recruitment that enhances the visibility of the school, targets identified audiences, and increases enrollment.
Schedules and conducts informational sessions and interviews for prospective students and applicants.
Reviews and evaluates transcripts for meeting school admission requirements.
Assists in identifying potential admission and progression issues and recommends possible courses of action to Director.
Collaborates with the Admissions and Records and Financial Aid Offices to support student admission and progression processing.
Monitors, reviews, and informs applicants regarding the status of their application.
Monitors and assists students with course registration; ensures coursework is in accordance with program plan.
Responsible for maintaining accurate student records in the student database.
Coordinates with Director and/or faculty course transfers, waivers, or substitutions.
Keeps abreast of changes in program, admission, policies, and procedures.
Responds to applicant and student inquiries on the program via email, phone, and in-person.
Other duties as assigned
1) Possession of a baccalaureate degree in nursing, education, educational counseling, social sciences or related field and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for significant and complex interaction with individuals/groups in the area of academic student services; or equivalent education/training or experience.
2) Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in the academic student services as demonstrated by the broad knowledge of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving concepts, principles and methodologies.
3) Considerable working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and theories and systems associated with academic student services.
4) Demonstrated ability to resolve wide ranging complex problems through the use of creative reasoning and logic to accurately determine the cause of the problems and the resolution of the problems in an effective, innovative and timely manner.
5) Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally and by preparation of reports and other materials.
6) Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
7) Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer and apply word processing software.
8) For supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
9) Any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
10) Familiarity with specific techniques to interact with students including underrepresented, disadvantaged, and minority populations in a productive and useful manner.
11) Knowledge of university academic curriculum (general education requirements, school/college requirements, etc.).
12) Knowledge of student information software and systems utilized for academic progress tracking.
1) Experience in admission processing to include calculation of applicable grade point averages, identification of academic deficiencies, and evaluation of transferable coursework.
2) Knowledge of Family, Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
3) Experience in an institution of higher education.
4) Knowledge of UH policies, procedures, and Banner and STAR student information systems.
5) Knowledge of event planning as it pertains to recruitment and orientation activities.