The Membership & Communication (M&C) Manager has leadership responsibility for development, coordination, implementation, and oversight of all Botanical Society of America (BSA) membership and communication programs (including the membership programs for which the BSA takes contracted responsibility with the Society for the Study of Evolution and the Society for Economic Botany). The M&C Manager plays a key role in communications and outreach programs to members, potential members, and lapsed members. This individual will plan, develop, and implement programs for membership retention and recruitment, as well as support efforts to market BSA benefits and services to members and nonmembers. The M&C Manager creates, supports, and enhances the overall membership experience.The M&C Manager will work enthusiastically with scientists and students across the globe who are dedicated to the field of botany, as well as with a professional association staff that is dedicated to the organization’s mission. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Membership Acquisition, Retention, Program and Benefits Development and Member Services – 30%
- Provide creative leadership and management of Botanical Society of America membership experience and programs in order to grow membership in the Society.
- Ensure membership service offerings are current, appropriate, forward looking, and reflect the needs of the Society’s members and clients.
- Recommend and develop new member programs and services as necessary.
- Advertise and assist in the administration of member awards and travel grant programs; lead the overall administration of the NSF-funded PLANTS (student mentorship and meeting travel) program.
- Work closely with the Conference Manager and Administration/Accounting Manager on the meeting registration process, and member services related to the conference such as the conference app.
- Work with senior staff and Board to develop surveys and other assessments to monitor member satisfaction and trends.
Communication and Marketing – 30%
- Direct the development and implementation of member communications using fresh content and technologies to inform, engage, retain, and grow membership; to include social media, e-newsletters, direct mail, email campaigns, and updates to the BSA web site.
- Coordinate with the Publications and Education program staff to assist in communications and marketing efforts including liaising with the Wiley marketing staff (our contracted commercial publisher).
- Assist the Conference Manager to enhance and deploy a marketing and communications effort for the annual scientific meeting.
Database/Records/Website Management – 20%
- Manage and oversee the integrity of the membership and prospect database (CiviCRM); keep records up-to-date and accurate.
- Coordinate with IT on database updates and advances in the platform and ensure the proper functioning of the system and related websites.
- Update websites with member-related content in coordination with IT staff.
Governance and Financial Administration – 20%
- Identify and analyze emerging membership and historical issues for the staff and Board.
- Provide contribution and financial reports from the membership system for monthly reconciliations with Accounting staff.
- Assist with collaboration efforts with other like-minded professional Societies and associations.
- Conduct regular analysis of membership data; prepare articles, reports, and make presentations at conferences and meetings; make recommendations and action plans as needed.
- Work in support of all other Society programs as and when required.
- Behaves & communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork, cooperation, and respect within our division and throughout the Garden with all employees, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors, and others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Position may supervise staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve positional goals; Understands department’s strengths & weaknesses; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Innovation- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Motivation- Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Judgment- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Dependability- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to additional work hours when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings, as required.
- Interpersonal- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively, using correct spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Ethics- Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Three (3) experience in non-profit or association management, preferably in a membership or communications-related role
- Demonstrated ability to create working relationships among diverse parties.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Aptitude with website configuration and content management systems (CMS) is preferred.
- The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
- Master’s Degree or certification in non-profit management preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications required.
- An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
Other Skills and Abilities: N/A
Language Skills: Ability to communicate effectively in English (oral/written)
Mathematical Skills: Proficient H.S. basic math aptitude; requires ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; calculate percentages and decimals, etc.
Requires data analysis of budgetary, membership and donation figures.
*Requires ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
- Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, database and HTML experience
Familiarity and ability to use and explore social media outlets such as Facebook, online membership forums/communities, Twitter, etc.
- Superior proficiency Adobe Suite programs.
- Working knowledge of database administration (CRM or AMS).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: NA
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., step stools, etc.)
- Ability to walk about facility frequently throughout work day, and sit for extended periods of the work day (may sit up to 75% of work day).
- Comfortable working in immediate proximity to staff and outside contacts, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions regarding human resource policies and procedures.
- Indoor office setting; shared work space, office environment with multiple staff within the department.
- Ability to work evening and weekends as needed.
- 1-2 weeks of travel which includes flying to an annual scientific conference in June or July and other professional development seminars. The annual scientific conference can take place internationally (Canada).
Job Type: Full-time