Regular Full Time
Monday - Friday
Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
Medical Laboratory Technician is responsible for the collection of patient specimens for laboratory testing. Follows proper guidelines for safe handling of blood, body fluids and hazardous chemicals, properly recording lab testing, quality control and assurance, assisting physicians with procedures and exams as requested, maintaining appropriate inventory levels of reagents and supplies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Maintain laboratory procedures, equipment and processes to aide diagnosis and treat diseases.
- Ensures all lab reports are reviewed and appropriate values are noted.
- Follows proper guidelines for safe handling of blood, body fluids and hazardous chemicals.
- Performs laboratory testing and operates automated equipment within the limits described in the procedure manual.
- Maintains proper records of laboratory testing and results as described in the policy and procedures manual.
- Adheres to CLIA compliance requirements.
- Performs quality control procedure to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Interacts with medical staff and assists physicians with procedures and exams as requested.
- Maintains sufficient inventory of laboratory supplies for daily operations.
- Understanding of LIS; including ordering test, rejecting test, reviewing and approving results.
• Demonstrates ability to perform clean venipuncture.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Demonstrates ability to perform capillary collections.
- Demonstrates knowledge of procedures and practices
- Demonstrates understanding of proper quality control procedures, use of control materials, and documentation of QC results and corrective action.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ongoing quality assurance activities in the office and documents breaches of quality as they occur.
- Demonstrates ability to perform routine maintenance on automated equipment.
- Ability to identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify Director or Manager.
- Ability to document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to take direction.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients and other employees.
- Ability to build rapport with patients to deliver exceptional direct patient care
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Must be Patient service oriented
• Current State of Tennessee Medical Laboratory Technician\Technologist License required
- Hematology experience with a minimum (1) years of laboratory experience preferred
- Excellent phlebotomy skills
- Associate Degree in Applied Sciences, Medical Laboratory Technology or Bachelor Degree in Medical Technology required.
- Outpatient facility experience
•Must be willing and able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Must be willing and able to travel to satellite clinics when necessary.