General Description (major areas of responsibility of this position):
A person in this position is responsible to improve customer and potential customer relationships, grow profit
margin and sales value and volume with current customers, and expand sales by obtaining and developing new customers within a general territory or market, support the development of the sales team, perform regular and accurate reporting to support sales planning and analysis activities, prepares visual presentations, written quotations and negotiations, and records the successful processes and procedures required to carry out all functions. May perform occasional deliveries to support the customer relationship. May manage and replenish consignments. This position may vacillate between inside and outside sales; duties shall be away from the office to solicit to clients generally less than 60% of the time worked per week. Excellence is demonstrated consistently and process improvements are contributed.
Extent of Supervision (level of direction provided and limits in acting independently):
A person in this position operates under limited supervision, receives general instruction, and follows routine procedures independently, and is responsible for managing and carrying out areas of responsibility within the scope of established goals and objectives. A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required. Specific directives may be provided for execution. Variations from procedure or problems are reported to the immediate supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Values (KSAV) (type and level of job/team-related attributes minimally required to accomplish expected results):
- Advanced knowledge of courteous and safe driving procedures (may include forklift), methods, and techniques
- Advanced knowledge of battery industry and automotive field concepts, practices, and procedures (language, technology, maintenance, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of sales and customer service procedures, methods, and techniques
- General knowledge of all WHS procedures, methods, and techniques associated with the position
- General knowledge of HAZCOMM safety procedures, methods, and techniques
- General knowledge of branch administrative procedures, methods, and techniques
- General knowledge of business policies and practices, document flows, general office procedures, rules, methods, and techniques
- General knowledge of safe material handling and transport procedures
- General knowledge of marketing procedures, methods, and techniques (advertising, market research, etc.)
- General knowledge of ERP (Enterprise resource planning) Applications (Prophet 21 preferred) associated with the job
- Basic knowledge of MS Excel applications (tables, charts and formulas, etc.)
- Advanced skill in practicing safe work habits
- Advanced skill in operating motor vehicles (may include light industrial trucks: forklifts/powered pallet jacks); maintains excellent driving record
- Advanced skill in communicating and building positive rapport with customers through delivering quality customer service (producing satisfaction; delivering happiness)
- Advanced skill in employing persuasion techniques (gaining new referrals; generating new leads and sales)
- Advanced skill in providing regular team member recognition
- Advanced skill in defusing an agitated person; handle grievances with professional etiquette
- General skill in contract negotiation
- General skill in use of customer resource management (CRM) software
- General skill level in English composition and conversation (read, write, and speak English with good pronunciation, proper word use, structure, and grammar); Additional language preferred
- General skill level in math (basic functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percent, and fractions), mathematical reasoning, number sense, reading charts and graphs)
- General skill level in use of business machines (phone, pc, copy, fax, and scanner)
- General skill level in typing (accurate at 40 wpm)
- General skill level in organization/orderliness and establishing priorities
- General skill in computer, tablet, and smart-phone use and related common applications (MS Office Business Suite including, but not limited to email, spreadsheet, database, and presentation applications; and internet research means)
- Basic skill in operating manual pallet jack, ladders, dolly, and other material handling tools
- Advanced ability to analyze situations, strategize actions, and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Advanced ability to follow defined process steps with high repeatability
- Advanced ability to work in a group/team or independently, when needed
- Advanced ability to interface with flexibility/adaptability to work effectively with a wide variety of people (identify and match approach to customer preference/personality type)
- General ability to effectively train new hires on mastered job processes, techniques, and procedures
- General ability to identify, support, develop, and execute appropriate intermediate and long range improvement goals that support department and company objectives
- General ability to foster a team that promotes excellence and to advocate a culture of change and continuous improvement
- General ability to maintain confidentiality
Working Relationships (persons whom those in this position regularly interact with in order to accomplish major areas of responsibility):
- Advanced value for integrity
- Advanced value for expression of a customer-centric (others-centric) attitude
- Advanced value for courtesy
- Advanced value for promptness
- Advanced value for attentiveness
- Advanced value for expression of a positive attitude
- Advanced value for continuous improvement
- Advanced value for team advancement
- Advanced value for wellness, health and safety (of self and others)
- Advanced value for highly accurate, consistently on-time work
- Branch Manager and Staff
- Other Sales Staff
- Maintains an image in support of Company values on the job, as well as off the job when team member can be easily identified as an employee/representative of the Company
- Demonstrates good judgment in supporting Company values when non-standard situation arises.
- Adds a valuable, helpful, and positive influence to the customer experience and the work environment: Generates Fans
- Supports professional, neat, organized, clean, and safe work area. Facilities, vehicles, tools, associated/assigned PPE, and uniforms are kept clean and in good condition.
- Maintains established WHS rules and practices; immediately reports any incidents to supervisor.
- Actively participates in assigned learning opportunities and in sharing job knowledge for team advancement.
- Maintains exemplary time-keeping, makes effective use of work time, performs required duties in a timely manner, and demonstrates reliability in completing assignments. Pre-plans time off with supervisor and collaborates to coordinate coverage of duties.
- Makes sure the proper materials are on hand, and that tools, and equipment are in good working order; reports non-working tools and equipment to supervisor.
- Plans ahead and prioritizes work assignments with supervisor to meet due dates.
- Maintains a high-energy but safe and thoughtful pace. Exceeds minimum standards of production.
- Supports the development and maintenance of well-documented departmental performance standards, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in department meetings and collaborates with supervisor to continually improve safety, efficiency, profitability, the customer experience, and to develop and achieve realistic goals and effective strategies to meet Company objectives.
- Supports a climate for collaborative, job-related open communication among people and between departments.
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions:
- Key to this job is the retention of customers and growth in sales volume and profitability of accounts. Pursues and maintains preferred vendor status with clients. Creates and maintains promoters (raving fans) of clients.
- Maintains a close business relationship with top 20% of clients. Continually contacts existing clients via, phone, email, and face to face to build and maintain a positive relationship between the customer and the Company. Maintains relations with key personnel (decision-maker, AR person, key sales persons for customer), and any customer staff interfaced with. Service-oriented and friendly attitude is clearly presented
- Obtains referrals from customers. Also able to successfully generate leads, qualify leads, convert leads to prospects, convert prospects to customers, convert customers to promoters.
- Tracks regular sales patterns of customers and analyzes data for changes in buying habits and opportunities to grow sales. Aware of customer business changes. Jealously guards customers, knows their buying habits, and anticipates their needs.
- Knowledgeable in all products carried and educates customers on products that service their needs. Identifies helpful opportunities for customers through expanding the use of Company products and services. Helpful and persuasive.
- Performs “hot-shot” deliveries from time to time to maintain relationship: deliver product and pick up used batteries, as well as maintain and replenishes consignment products for customers.
- Records in CRM daily activity/call reports concerning customer-related activities for quotes, orders, and problems concerning customer/vendor relationships. Maintains accurate documentation of all customer transactions. Records daily activity/call reports concerning customer-related activities for quotes, orders, and relationships. Compiles accurate reports.
- Ensures the positive relationship is maintained while ensuring timely collection of payment for all orders.
- Coordinates regularly with supervisor to achieve targeted sales objectives.
- Pursues and maintains preferred vendor status with clients
- Adaptable to provide executive-level and service-level sales presentations
- Effective in pursuing and winning large orders; supports Bid Department
- Assists in loading and unloading process
- Trains personnel on mastered job processes, techniques, and procedures
- Provides regular reports
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions (team members are required to contact the designated Human Resources in such cases to document the accommodation).
Significant physical strength, physical resilience, and mental alertness is imperative within this job. This is primarily a non-stationary position working in a non-temperature-controlled environment with extended periods of time spent in diverse positions due to diverse nature of customer facilities. Extended periods of sitting or standing at a desk/counter occur to prepare reports, to visit customer facilities, to work trade shows, and to drive. Significant mental alertness and quick reflexes are required in order to safely drive. Standing and walking is required to interface with customers, gain access to their buildings, which may require the use of stairs, and to deliver communications and, occasionally, product, requiring the ability to, lift, carry, climb, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and continuous mental and visual attention with eyesight correctable to 20/20 and specific vision requirements of close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Peripheral vision and depth perception are also required for driving safety, and to safely work in diverse customer sites including the possibility of warehouse, production, construction, and other hazardous locations. The employee operates a keyboard/mouse, answers telephone calls and occasionally bends, reaches, and pushes and pulls file drawers to file documents requiring finger and hand dexterity, reaching, lifting, and twisting. While the use of tools is encouraged, employees in this job occasionally carry product weighing up to 125 lbs. across diverse customer conditions that may not allow for material handling equipment. Participation in group lifts for heavier weight is required. Employee may push pallets (using a pallet jack) or push wheeled carts with product weighing over 3,000 lbs. Stacking of batteries occurs with all branch personnel from time to time, requiring physical endurance to move individual units in quantities exceeding 1 ton in a day. The common lifting-related motions are as follows:
- Squat, gain load, stand with load held in lift zone (just above belt-height), slight reach, unload to flat plane, push load (sliding load corner to corner pivot) across flat plane and the reverse
- Same as above, adding up to 25 yards of walking with load carried in one hand, by product handle, on the side of the body, with arm hanging straight down at the shoulder
- Reach full arm-length (both arms), pull load (sliding load corner to corner pivot alternating arms pulling; both arms used simultaneously for more significant weight) across flat plane to lift zone, lift load, move feet to turn body, place load on flat plane at a similar or improved height (differential made up with squat or squat extension to standing), push load (sliding load corner to corner pivot) across flat plane
- Reach full arm-length (both arms), pull load (sliding load corner to corner pivot) across flat plane to lift zone, lift load, move feet to turn body, squat to place load on lower plane
- Same as above, adding up to 25 yards of walking with load carried in one hand, by product handle, on the side of the body, with arm hanging straight down at the shoulder, having been lowered there from chest height by arm strength, or raising there by a squat thrust.
Team members are required to notify their manager if they believe that they are not able to safely continue to lift and require a temporary recovery period of lighter duties. Personal protective equipment consists of uniform, safety glasses, gloves, and safety-toe shoes (may include ice cleats), and may additionally require apron, face shield, safety goggles, ear protection, and/or rubber gloves in interface with the charging area, installations, and clean-up process.
- Clean Company uniform is the required attire (business suit may be required for executive presentations)
- Shoes must have non-slip soles, safety toe protection; no open shoes; no high heels.
- Neat, clean, tasteful, well-groomed appearance required.
- Hair, fingernails, and facial hair are to be kept neat and clean and must in no way interfere with the safety, technical, or professional requirements of the position or work assignment.
- No ripped, torn, soiled, holey, or ill-fitting clothing.
- Good hygiene
- Heavily-scented colognes, perfumes, and deodorants are to be avoided.
- Jewelry is to be moderate and not present a safety hazard (zero conductive material to be worn when working with batteries).
- Visible tattoos are to be covered with clothing where applicable (i.e. long sleeves). Tattoos not able to be covered must be of a minimal nature and not be provocative, offensive, gang-related, or threatening.