The Director, Total Rewards is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating all compensation, benefits, and rewards programs for the MFA. Responsible for providing strategic direction in shaping the MFA’s Total Rewards philosophy and developing initiatives, processes and operational plans in support of the MFA's multi-year business strategies. Establishes total rewards goals and initiates specific programs to accomplish the objectives. Ensure cost-effective implementation of total rewards and recognition programs and the on-going development and analysis of information and metrics that relate to organizational objectives. Ultimately, the Director, Total Rewards will work to ensure the MFA is competitively positioned within in Metro DC talent market while working with MFA leadership to achieve ‘Employer of Choice’ recognition for the MFA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
Designs, develops and implements a total rewards philosophy and strategy for the MFA.
Identifies the initiatives, processes and operational plans necessary to achieve the strategy.
Leads the compensation and benefits team in focusing on cost-effectiveness as well as market competitiveness in the design of policies and programs for structure development, salary budgets, and design and delivery of variable pay incentives.
- Manages policy development, administration, and record-keeping of healthcare plans, retirement plans, and leaves.
Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local benefit laws and regulations. Keeps leadership informed of new developments and disseminates the information as necessary.
Manages relations with brokers, vendors, consultants, and regulatory agencies. Evaluates vendor performance, provides improvement feedback, and makes recommendations for change as necessary.
Negotiates contracts for services and programs with outside vendors/brokers to obtain cost-effective, maximum coverage for employees for all areas of responsibility.
- Directs compensation staff in the analysis of market trends, best practices, and the competitive pay of other institutions in the healthcare industry in order to evaluate and recommend changes that will enhance the MFA’s ability to attract and retain top talent.
- Negotiates contracts and manages the relationship with external consultants on special initiatives and programs as required.
- Works with Chief Human Resources Officer, Chief Financial Officer and other MFA executives to develop and prepare all analysis for compensation and benefits materials that must be integrated into the FY budget planning process.
Partners with HR leadership to develop, execute and communicate key programs to managers and employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BA/BS with a Human Resources or Business related degree and/or related field. SPHR or PHR Certification desirable but not required.
7+ years of relevant experience in compensation and benefits with a minimum of 3 years managing a team of compensation and benefits professionals. Proficiency with Microsoft software (Excel, etc) is required. Demonstrated ability handling sensitive, confidential information.
The successful incumbent must consistently demonstrated the following:
- Demonstrated effectiveness driving change through to quick and thorough data
- Emotional intelligence and adaptability in new and/or ambiguous situations and
challenging business environments;
- A collaborative, service-oriented style undergirded by mental toughness and fortitude.
- Deep understanding of the broader talent management levers and the influence
compensation and benefits have on attracting and retaining top talent in healthcare.
- The ability to network within the broader total rewards community to glean applicable ‘best practices’.
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment where you take pride in your work.
- Exceptional communications skills that instill confidence and builds relationships
- Results-oriented and a self-starter who enjoys a challenge and is dedicated to
identifying “enterprise solutions” with minimal support and direction.
- Highly effective judgment and interpersonal skills; the ability to interface with all
levels across the entire organization.
- Strategic thinking and influencing skills that build confidence at all levels of the organization.
- Comfort with various HRIS systems and the full suite of Microsoft Office software.