The New York State Teachers’ System is seeking candidates to fill a TRS Investment Officer 1 position that will support the management of the System’s public equity investments. Under the direction of the Assistant Manager of Quantitative Strategies the TRS Investment Officer 1 will participate in the implementation of the internally managed portfolios. Specific responsibilities will include validation of the daily investment process, monitoring of portfolio positioning, portfolio construction, performance attribution and reporting. The TRS Investment Officer 1 will also assist with the development of new internally managed strategies and participate in external manager monitoring and selection. The position may require some travel.
- Validate the daily investment process; check daily holdings reconciliation reports and communicate with Investment Operations staff/Custodian to facilitate resolution of any holdings discrepancies and other data related issues.
- Daily monitoring of internal portfolios for consistency with stated objectives.
- Rebalance internal portfolios according to investment guidelines and cash-flow instructions; run optimizations, review trade lists and optimal portfolio characteristics; cross-check for corporate actions; run internal transfer process; prepare trade lists for execution; communicate trade instructions to trader.
- Review index changes and corporate action events for impact on internal portfolios; generate recommendations for specific actions resulting from such events; communicate decisions to interested parties; implement decisions and document actions.
- Review and monitor positioning within assigned sector for an internally managed quantitative strategy. Develop understanding of industry dynamics and become familiar with companies in the sector. Periodically review stock-selection model ranks for reasonableness e.g. following company earnings announcements and filings, and make recommendations to adjust positioning where appropriate e.g. alpha improvement opportunities, risk control, mergers.
- Generate and analyze monthly performance attributions for internal and externally managed portfolios based on team assignment; review portfolios for compliance with investment guidelines; understand drivers of performance and evaluate consistency with strategy; sign off assigned portfolios by required deadline.
- Generate data/reports as necessary for monthly internal investment committee, investment advisory committee, quarterly board packages, investment policy manual, CAFR.
- Demonstrate initiative by interacting with other groups to develop and build working relationships across the organization that benefit the Public Equity team.
- Attend suitable training, relevant conferences, and educational sessions, to gain exposure to market insights, and develop industry awareness through networking with peers.
A bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting, Business Administration Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or in a closely related field, and two years of professional investment experience.
Qualifying experience includes:
Investment-related duties reflecting a fundamental knowledge of the financial markets and an understanding of the economic forces that impact the financial markets, or analysis of financial or economic data; investment risk or portfolio management; investment operations; investment compliance, investment auditing, investment accounting, and quantitative analysis.
Commercial real estate investing (investment acquisitions or asset management) or commercial mortgage lending, specifically involving the financing, investing in, leasing of, or asset management of large commercial real estate assets (generally properties worth $10 million or more);
Non-qualifying experience includes:
Activities applicable to small commercial properties (e.g., two to four family homes), the sale or brokerage of single-family homes, or experience marketing or selling financial service products to individuals, as performed by financial advisors and stockbrokers.
Successful completion of all three levels of the CFA exam may substitute for two years of experience; a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation, a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM), a Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI), or a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) may substitute for one year of experience; and a master’s degree in Business Administration concentrating in Finance or a closely related concentration may substitute for two years of experience.
- An advanced degree in finance, accounting, business administration,
economics, statistics, computer science or related field of study.
- Chartered Financial Analyst designation or willingness to pursue.
- Experience managing passive and/or active institutional public equity portfolios
- Portfolio analytics expertise using FactSet and/or Barra
- An understanding of quantitative portfolio management concepts such as tracking error, optimization and factor investing
- Experience preparing and analyzing multi-factor portfolio risk and performance attribution reports
- Familiarity with index provider methodologies e.g. S&P, Russell, MSCI
- Investment operations experience e.g. corporate actions, holdings reconciliation, performance measurement
- Experience with statistical programming languages e.g R
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number CS0129P
Application Deadline 11/26/2018
Special Instructions to Applicants
There are currently no mandatory re-employment lists at this time. However, please note that if such a list is certified against this title prior to the completion of the selection process, candidates applying based on meeting the minimum qualifications or transferability under Civil Service Law can no longer be considered.
The work hours of this position are subject to change in accordance with Article 12 of the collective bargaining agreement.
This position falls under NYSTRS’ Personal Trading policy, which requires pre-clearance of personal trades and reporting of trading activity.
This position is temporary pending non-competitive jurisdictional classification.