The Lean Specialist is an onsite partner supporting the Senior Continuous Improvement Engineer (SCIE) with the deployment, sustainment and education of Lean within a DC. Responsible for the implementation of Lean programs by ensuring Continuous Improvement ideas are captured, completed and monitored for aging. Assists with closing the communication loop by sharing the outcome of all Continuous Improvement activity with the site. Facilitate and mentor others in Kaizen activity to improve processes and deepen team member understanding of Lean. Assists with GEMBA walks, and monitor the effectiveness of MDI/Tier meetings; makes improvement recommendations.
- Attends Tier 1 meetings to assess implementation and thoroughness of Lean content.
- Assists with capturing, compiling and making GEMBA walk information actionable.
- Lead and participate in Kaizen events to improve TM knowledge of Lean and impact areas such as cost, quality, safety and delivery.
- Assists with the completion of Quarterly Lean Assessments.
- Engages with TMs and Operations to assist in identifying waste, scheduling improvement activities and executing Kaizens/workshops to eliminate waste.
- Partners with the SCIE to train/guides operations on resources such as 5 Why, Fishbone, FMEA, Takt Time, Spaghetti Diagrams, Process Mapping and Error Proofing.
- Ensures front line managers are completing all tasks necessary to enable their teams to meet and exceed department goals (Layered Leader’s Standard Work).
- Assist in leading training as directed by the SCIE.
- Assists with tracking the progress, milestones, savings, and other key aspects of projects that are active on a regular basis.
- Attends Tier 1 meetings to assess execution and thoroughness of Lean content.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
Associate’s Degree and experience in a lead/coaching role in a distribution or production environment. OR High School diploma/GED and at least 1 year of experience in a lead/coaching position (i.e., distribution or production environment) OR High School Diploma/GED and at least 1 year of experience in a Walgreens distribution center.
Experience with Lean tools and techniques such as Kaizen, 5 Why, process mapping and Walgreens’ DC Lean Modules 1-3.
Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example:
opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
Basic level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example:
opening a workbook, inserting a row, selecting font style and size, formatting cells as currency, using copy, paste and save functions, aligning text, selecting cells, renaming a worksheet, inserting a column, selecting a chart style, inserting a worksheet, setting margins, selecting page orientation, using spell check and/or printing worksheets).
Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example:
inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
At least 1 year of Lean experience in manufacturing or logistics environment.
Experience in providing training and developing Lean process documentation/user manuals.
At least 1 year of Project Management experience or at least 1 year of experience leading high-performing work teams.
Experience in indirect management of team members, including assisting in the development, training and assignment of work/projects to other team members.