The Public Theater seeks an experienced and savvy Staff Accountant to become part of our
Finance team. The Finance department works with multiple departments throughout the Theater
to deliver accurate and timely financial information. This position will report to the Controller
and is responsible for daily accounting functions and processes, month-end, and financial and
analytical tasks for the purpose of supporting the accounting function at The Public. This
position will work with the rest of the team to help drive process improvements and implement
internal controls in a growing organization.
A successful candidate is a highly competent accounting professional with 3-5 years of relevant
work experience, an excellent attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines and prioritize
competing demands. The selected candidate will demonstrate excellent oral and written
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close process for financial reporting for
internal and external use.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of various balance sheet and income statement accounts
ensuring transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Record and reconcile monthly endowment activity.
- Assist with tracking and recognition of temporarily restricted revenue.
- Manage outstanding miscellaneous accounts receivable and deposit balances.
- Responsible for preparation and recording of daily, weekly, and monthly journal entries.
- Record daily cash activity.
- Assist with the annual external audit and 990 preparation.
- Prepare reports for grants, salary surveys, and industry surveys.
- Provide support to the controller and wider finance team with ad-hoc projects.
- Commitment to The Public Theater’s mission to create theater of, by, and for all people.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related work experience.
- Nonprofit and endowment accounting experience a plus.
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls, and financial reporting requirements.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with competing and unpredictable
- Ability to work cross departmentally in a fast-paced environment.
- Individual should be self-motivated and possess strong interpersonal skills,
communication skills, written skills, and analytical skills.
- Technical Skills: Highly competent in standard suite of Microsoft Office applications,
particularly Excel. Basic understanding of Accounting ERP Software (Blackbaud, Sage
Intacct, and Concur are a plus). Familiarity with budgeting software a plus (Vena).
Familiarity with Tessitura is a bonus.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be
an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater
field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression,
familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This Non-Exempt full-time position is available immediately. Please send cover letter, resume,
and salary expectations to: