Working closely with in-house litigation attorneys in the Legal department at GAF, the Litigation Paralegal supports the handling of commercial and employment lawsuits and claims. Primary responsibilities include daily management of litigation matters and major claims, with significant efforts in relation to the discovery process. The Litigation Paralegal also provides research support to attorneys. The individual in this position reports directly to the Chief Litigation & Compliance Counsel, but supports attorneys in both the Litigation and Compliance, and Labor and Employment groups.
Day to Day Litigation Management (90%)
- Bears primary responsibility for coordination of discovery process among outside counsel, in-house counsel and relevant business units, including specifically management of collection efforts necessary to respond to litigation discovery and third party subpoenas.
- Coordinates litigation hold process including preparation of litigation hold notices, confirmation of receipt and compliance of same, interviewing custodians and assisting outside counsel as necessary in identifying, gathering and producing relevant materials.
- Interacts on a daily basis with other business units and outside counsel to ensure proper dissemination of information and follow through.
- Obtains relevant information from a variety of resources, such as newspapers, law journals, industry publications, case documents, trade associations, etc., and/or using on-line sources such as Westlaw.
- Organizes, maintains, and updates paper and electronic correspondence, databases, and records with respect to the various litigation files, including Legal Department SharePoint site.
Other General Duties (10%)
LEVEL BASED COMPETENCIES:
- Provides assistance to other paralegals, legal secretaries and attorneys when necessary to meet department needs, and performs other duties as assigned.
Building Strategic Working Relationships
Technical/Professional Knowledge & Skills
Planning & Organizing
Technical knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
Familiar with standard Legal concepts, practices, and procedures; exposure to a variety of practice areas is required; experience with employment litigation strongly preferred
Advanced proficiency with Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, as well as Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Lync)
Familiarity with Exterro is strongly preferred
General knowledge/skills (entry, intermediate, advanced)
Advanced organizational skills with an eye for detail.
Ability to follow through tasks to completion.
Self-motivated, with ability to work efficiently, either independently or in a team environment.
Advanced communication skills, both verbal and written.
Minimum of 8 years as a litigation paralegal either at a top law firm or within a legal department of a corporation.
College Degree required.
Paralegal certificate preferred.
No of direct reports:
No of indirect reports:
We believe our employees are our greatest resource. We offer competitive salary, benefits, 401k, and vacation packages for all full time permanent positions. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and GAF, SGI, and Siplast are proud to be affirmative action employers. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. If applying for positions in the U.S., must be eligible to work in the U.S. without need for employer sponsored visa (work permit).