Founded in 1992, the Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI) housed in the School of Arts and Sciences is the first academic research institution in the US dedicated to the study of contemporary India. CASI seeks an Assistant Director, Student Programs and Outreach, to work with the Director and Deputy Director to develop and lead its student programs, making it a vibrant and integral part of the Center’s mission and a highly regarded program at Penn. Currently in its thirteenth year, CASI Student Programs have grown into an interactive and enriching year-round educational experience, drawing Penn students together throughout the academic year and generating new initiatives and forms of engagement in the process. The Assistant Director also oversees the outreach activities related to student programs and its alumni.
- Lead, manage and organize all aspects of student programs including the annual travel funds competition for summer internships and field research and the endowed Sobti Family Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship.
- Work with the CASI Director and Deputy Director, campus and India-based partnering organizations, and UPIASI to ensure successful delivery of these programs. Work closely with Penn Global, Penn Abroad/GRIP, and Penn CAPS to organize information, pre-departure and post-program evaluation sessions. Coordinate student sessions related to development in India and the internship partners, featuring speakers from CASI’s Visiting Scholar and Seminar programs.
- Serve as liaison with partnering organizations in India and help expand CASI’s in-country program by identifying and cultivating potential partners, ensuring key factors are met. Occasionally travel to India for site visits to summer host organizations to strengthen these relationships.
- Work closely with Center’s organization in India and partners to address concerns during students’ summer in India. Build campus awareness of CASI student programs by working with Penn academic and related departments and student organizations.
- Supervise and manage part-time staff including students engaged in student programs and CASI events on campus and elsewhere.
- Manage the design and production of promotional material for student programs. Manage student summer internships and funding competitions’ application and selection processes and organize related events such as the annual open house and orientation. Engage past student winners to assist in promoting the competition and the programs through these and other campus events, the CASI Student Programs Blog, etc. throughout the academic year. Manage the administrative requirements of the annual competitions with offices within Penn and outside agencies.
- Organize and manage outreach activities related to student programs and alumni. Promote the activities through social media and various Penn Web sites. Serve as spokesperson for Student Programs within the Penn community, to alumni and donor groups. Identify and coach students to present their summer experiences at campus information sessions and at CASI’s annual board meeting.
- Assist CASI Director and Deputy Director in the early cultivation of potential donors interested in developing student programs and other programs of the Center.
- In consultation with the Director, Deputy Director, and Associate Director, work on planning and implementing new initiatives of the Center for student engagement. Advise and mentor current students and recent graduates of CASI Student Programs as they apply for post-graduate fellowships, enter the job market, and prepare for graduate school.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Master’s preferred.
The candidate should possess excellent organizational, writing, speaking, computer, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative environment under deadline. Ideal candidate should have applied knowledge of contemporary India, understanding of Penn and a proven record of contributing to higher education programs.
Proficiency in MS Office (including Excel). Proven experience in social media and multimedia preferred. Proficiency in an Indian language would be an asset.
Occasional evenings and weekends. Periodic travel to India.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.