The Technical Development Manager will serve as a leader and key member of our Technical Development Team at Novi MI. The incumbent has the technical responsibility for leading, planning and execution of development activities for the NNA key customer GM.
In this role the manager will play a key role in engaging with OEM and TIER1 customers. This role includes managing all aspects of optimizing Al versus steel body design. The incumbent assures the adaption and validation of innovation and new products at the customer GM.
In addition to the management skills and team leading capabilities this position must understand the OEM development and manufacturing processes and the performance of the innovative Novelis materials in such processes. This team works to provide new technical solutions to customers and influence material decisions to increase the use of aluminum sheet and the rate of innovations going in production.
This manager will work very closely with the GM commercial team, the Automotive Solution Center Team based in Novi and the Global R&D Center in Kennesaw and - if required - with the European and Asian based technical centers.
- Analyze customer requirements and specifications and contribute to the customer specific and general product development strategy.
- Directs the implementation of the development plan by defining, checking execution and progress regularly.
- Support the Commercial Sales and Marketing Team and work closely together with the Automotive Solution Center team and Global R&D organization.
- Discuss new projects and possibilities to test these with customers.
- Train key accounts on new products and production capabilities.
- Align with application development engineers that are assigned to other projects for the customer.
- Provide production support in case of quality or technical issues. This consists in technical advice for problem solving on any process issue (forming, hemming, painting, joining, corrosion, etc…). It can also involve having discussions on quality and claims.
- Be a liaison between plants, R&D Kennesaw, customers and sales.
- Assure appropriate knowhow transfer and successful qualification with customers
- Must have at least 10 to 15 years of experience managing and leading design and implementation of structural systems and components
- Must have experience engaging with OEM or Tier 1 automotive suppliers
- Experience on problem solving on processes related to forming, hemming and joining
- Experience managing large-scale projects and/or programs at global scale.
- Must have exceptional leadership, communication and presentation skills and be able to motivate teams and manage internal customers.
- Must have proven ability to manage project costs.
- Must have good analytical and organizational skills.
- Must have manufacturing industry experience; “process manufacturing” a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineer or Metallurgy, Master’s degree a plus.
- Strong team player and creative thinking for providing innovative solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication/documentation skills.
- Professional and personal network connections to advanced engineering departments and series development at major OEM’s are beneficial.
- Strong management, communication skills (both verbal and written
- Capability to thrive in a multinational and multifunctional team environment
Facilities, Amenities or Infrastructure
The Novi office, twenty-five miles northeast of the heart of the motor city, provides sales and engineering technology technical support for automotive manufacturers. The Novi team promotes the application of Novelis aluminum sheet for auto body panels and exacting performance requirements of the fast-paced automotive industry. Site capabilities include: Sale Office and Stamping and Testing Lab Markets We Serve Automotive and Transportation – Sales, Engineering and Technical Support
Last Date of Application