The Research Technologist will w ork on research projects focusing on the molecular mechanisms regulating intestinal transport of oxalate, with special emphasis on SLC26A6 (an anion exchanger with an essential role in intestinal oxalate secretion), by different neuro-hormonal factors and probiotic bacteria, and how this regulation might pertain to the risk of hyperoxaluria and calcium oxalate kidney stone disease. Using a diversity of cultured mammalian cells and whole animals, ongoing research utilizes a variety of contemporary techniques, including biochemical techniques (Western blotting, immunoprecipitaion, etc.), standard molecular biology procedures (cloning, PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, etc.), microscopic & genomic approaches, protein biochemistry (including purification/column chromatography and MASS/SPECT), as well as flux studies in cells and intestinal tissues mounted in Ussing chambers.
- Assist in conducting experiments and managing the laboratory.
- Potential for independent work and publications exists.
- Assist with experiments under the supervision of Dr. Hassan and other senior scientists in the lab.
- General laboratory and record upkeep - Order lab supplies and maintain inventory.
- Assist in the maintenance of laboratory animals, stock solutions, supplies, chemical and media.
- Potentially assist in the training and supervision of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as coworkers.
- Meet with the supervisor on a regular basis to discuss progress and problems in research
- Knowledge in relevant scientific field required.
- Knowledge of research techniques or methods required.
- Knowledge of regulatory policies and procedures required.
- Analytical skills required. Problem-solving skills required.
- Attention to detail required.
- Organizational skills required.
- Verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Research experience with basic molecular biology and biochemical techniques preferred.
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before