Jarret Yoshida Inc., A Brooklyn Based Interior Design Company In Search Of Interns.
Jarret Yoshida Inc., a Brooklyn based interior design firm with clients in Hawaii and New York (and overseas) seeking interns for a great learning experience.
What is Jarret Yoshida, Inc.?
Our mission is to understand our clients’ aesthetic with imagination, innovation, and originality to help them create a space that moves them every time they return to it.
- Being honest and open about team goals and personal goals.
- Collaborating in creativity
- Delivering on our promises
- Personal awareness of what we each bring to the table (areas of strength and growth)
Our office is located at 51 MacDonough Street, Brooklyn, NY 11216. The closest subway stations are the Nostrand Ave A and Kingston Throop C trains (each is about two short blocks away). We are also three blocks from the LIRR Nostrand Avenue station.
The dress code is relaxed casual. Please refrain from wearing any perfume or scented lotions, scented detergents or scented dryer sheets to support out staff with allergies.
Our office is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. You would normally report to the office, unless an off-site visit is needed.
Personal & Sick Days
Interns get unlimited sick days. Personal days may be taken with prior approval from the principal. We will work around certain key times like mid-terms and finals. School work comes first. You must own responsibility for keeping in communication around these times.
Holidays Religious and High Holidays
The office is closed for all major U.S. holidays. If you observe a specific religious holiday during which the office is open, please let the principal know beforehand so that we can happily make accommodations.
Treat everyone with respect
Jarret Yoshida, Inc. has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment or any discriminatory behavior.
This internship is an unpaid position strictly for school credit. A small stipend ($15/day) will be provided for lunch along with paying for subway or bus transit to the office, job sites or shopping locations for the day you are working.
As an Interior Design Intern here, you will not be left in some fabric library alone to organize samples or folders ad nauseous. Your responsibilities will be to shadow our staff and include involvement in activities like, but are not limited to:
- Creation of floor plans, elevations, and renderings.
- Communicating with key vendors, suppliers & clients.
- Assist in the creation of client presentations, design concepts, space planning, etc.
- Assist with project logistics including budget tracking, purchasing and delivery/scheduling of renovation and installation dates, etc.
- Requesting quotes, processing & tracking orders with vendors and contractors.
- Researching new products and vendors.
- Support Jarret in client meetings, with administrative duties and business related errands.
- Shopping for fabrics, finishes, fixtures & furniture at D&D Building/ NYDC, etc.
- Organize and maintain the fabric library.
- On-site work, including measuring, progress photos and notes.
- Assisting team during client and special project installation dates.
- Assisting principal with project photo shoot preparation and styling.
We will also be assigning you museum time to deepen your understanding of the trends and styles that influence your decision making process as a designer.
Your Intern Experience
Over the course of your internship you will get to experience what busy office life is like. That being said, it is very important to not only take ownership of the tasks delegated to you, but truly experience and learn from them as well. We encourage and expect you to take ownership of your work as part of your growth here. We also welcome your feedback on how to make our work better and easier. Over the years, interns have made numerous valuable contributions to the work we do here thanks to a culture of regular feedback. Your growth as a professional that we can train to become a confident designer is important to Jarret. You will be asked frequently how your internship is going and what can we do to make it more personally fulfilling. You will also be expected to bring that up independently if you are seeking more satisfaction from your internship.
- During your first few days in the office, you will be assigned an email address. You are expected to check your email upon arrival in the office, during the day, and before leaving the office.
- All inter-office communication is done primarily through Slack. Please be mindful of which channel you are posting to. Since each channel has a pre-designated purpose.
Most of the information you’ll need is stored in the company’s Google Drive. The most important documents that will come in handy often are:
- Client Spreadsheet 2018-2019: This contains all the information of our clients and vendors along with usernames and login passwords for different platforms we use.
- Floor Plans and Elevation: This contains all the drawings and site pictures for each of our clients.
You will be asked to put together client presentations on multiple occasions. So, it is imperative that you become comfortable and efficient with doing that. The outline below may be a helpful reference for the items you would need to include in each presentation:
- Cover page (name of client, address, logo)
- Color inspiration (palette)
- Entryway vignette, which may include:
6) Living room vignette, which may include:
- Accessories (statues, art, rugs)
7) Dining room vignette, which may include:
8) Kitchen, which may include:
9) Bedroom vignette, which may include:
- Accessories (statues, art, rugs)
10) Bathroom vignette, which may include:
Job Type: unpaid internship.
Job Type: Internship
- Interior Design: 1 year (Preferred)