RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Design educational/school program for LAYN residents through the assessment of youth goals, prior placement, motivation, learning style and psycho-social functioning.
- Assist in the creation and monitoring of academic case plans for all youth; monitor case plan progress through GPA, credits, school attendance, etc.
- Inform youth of their educational rights and work with school liaisons to ensure educational rights are being honored.
- Enroll all youth in school within time set forth by law; work with youth to identify and address school related needs including clothing, transportation, supplies and general comfort.
- Advocate for youth in school enrollment, retrieving of educational documents, transcripts, credits and IEPs; establish relationships with LAUSD administrators and teachers.
- Work to develop graduation plans, transfer plans or college acceptance plans; assist youth with college applications and financial aid.
- Research and implement SAT and ACT preparatory curriculum.
- Develop academic accommodations and modifications to assist youth with learning disabilities; create targeted interventions for youth failing to meet attendance and promotion standards.
- In collaboration with the other Education Specialist:
- Lead and organize groups on high school graduation, college admissions, financial aid, etc.
- Lead field trips to college campuses and other institutions in order to provide enriching learning opportunities to youth.
- In collaboration with the Employment Specialist
- Assist youth in completing a Career Education plan and portfolio.
- Assist youth in identifying and applying to post- secondary institutions and vocational programs that are aligned to the youth’s goals
- Perform and oversee participant screening, training, matching and support of all volunteer tutors.
- Work with tutors to set tutoring objectives and meet with tutors on a quarterly basis to reevaluate objectives and approaches.
- Schedule and coordinate with case managers and tutors to ensure all youth receive regular tutoring services.
- Provide weekly tutoring and homework assistance to youth as needed
- Communicate with School on Wheels and LAUSD in order to place tutors.
- Ensure that all tutors are informed of and abide by LAYN policies and procedures. Offer ongoing support and training to tutors around educational pedagogy and targeted learning interventions.
- Arrange additional off-site tutoring for any youth who are performing below grade level.
- Compile statistical data monthly.
- Communicate with CSWs, school administrators and teachers on an ongoing basis.
- Complete appropriate documentation of files.
- Utilize the Positive Youth Development Approach when dealing with youth.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors in a related field required, Masters in Social Work, Public Administration, or other Human Services Field preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience working in a residential, and/or mental health setting.
- Superb writing, assessment, planning and analytical skills
- Must possess professionalism, and leadership
- Exemplary attention to details
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a timely manner. Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Experience working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently.
- Satisfactorily fulfill the requirements for employment at the Los Angeles Youth Network, i.e. references, physical examination, criminal records clearance, etc.
Certificates/Licenses: Valid CA Driver’s License (must pass insurance underwrites)
Job Type: Full-time