Bay State College is seeking an Academic Systems Administrator I to provide system and infrastructure support for the College’s academic systems. The system administrator’s primary responsibilities will include providing solutions to business needs utilizing the college’s Learning Management System, other academic systems, and special project work as assigned by the Director. The position will interact closely with the System Administration vertical at the college to best integrate the proposed solutions to current systems. This is a full time position and will report to the Director of Campus Technology Solutions. The Academic Systems Admin I is the ideal position for an individual seeking to utilize technical, interpersonal and problem-solving skills in a diverse, fast paced, mission-driven environment.
Bay State College is a private career-focused college founded in 1946 in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston. With a Mission to prepare students for successful careers and global citizenship through academic rigor and individualized support, Bay State College seeks candidates who will be leaders in fulfilling that Mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works with all divisions to scope, define, implement, and communicate software solutions specific to academics that support the strategic objectives of the college.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, and analysis.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Collaborate with project manager/product owner, developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- Drive and challenge divisions on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans.
- Serve as the conduit between the college community (internal and external to CTS) and the software development resources.
- Create user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Assist with user acceptance testing when needed.
- Support project initiatives, including identifying and analyzing preliminary business needs, budget considerations, time and resource estimates, defining the project scope and objectives, and getting business user consent.
Works with the LMS and other academic systems at the college and maintains the integrity of the solutions provided through those systems:
- This involves developing a deep understanding of the LMS system by working with the divisional LMS SME (Subject Matter Experts) and the vendor
- Integration of solutions using other software into the LMS, working with the System Administrator Vertical
- Maintaining data integrity of the data that is kept in the academic systems, working with the Report Writer/DBA and the System Administrator Vertical
- Version control maintenance: Working with users and the supplying vendor to properly
- setup, test and implement application patches/updates/upgrades in a timely manner.
- Assist with end-user training for product implementation, enhancements and upgrades
- Document procedures, technical instructions and business knowledge
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 support of all LMS and other academic system related issues through collaboration with the Learning Management System vendor
Works with the vendor on LMS and other academic systems for maintenance, upgrades and replacements.
- Will be responsible for maintaining and managing the LMS upgrade communications
- Will work alongside the Director in maintaining and improving the LMS product
- Will be responsible for maintaining other academic systems.
Participate in technology project planning, oversight, and completion.
- This will include conceptualizing, building, and managing large projects that impact the organization
Works with the Director to identify existing/emerging technology needs and support cost/benefit analyses for potential solutions
- This involves an understanding of the strategic nature of the Campus Technology Solutions department as it relates to the mission and vision of Bay State College.
Works with the Director to develop and execute a scalable Business Intelligence Strategy.
- Assist with special projects as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Three to five years’ experience working with an enterprise LMS, or similar product required.
- Five Years of experience in Higher Ed operations preferred.
- Experience with Canvas, Moodle, Blackboard, or similar required.
- An understanding of curriculum as experienced through a LMS preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field preferred.
- Worked on a high performance team delivering rapid, high quality technology tools and support
- Focus on student/customer service, employee enablement, and continuous process improvement
- Demonstrated analytical, interpersonal, communication, and project management skills
- High degree of initiative and dependability
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous, significant projects and initiatives
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- There is a possibility of weekend project work.
Interested candidates should forward a letter of interest and current resume to Michael Wooden, Director of Campus Technology Solutions.
No Phone Calls Please.
Bay State is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants areconsidered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Required work authorization: