CEFCO Convenience Stores is looking for a dynamic Category Manager to join their team in Temple, TX. The ideal candidate takes pride in their work, invests in creating strong working relationships throughout the organization, and acts with confidence and integrity with an eye towards solutions.
At The Fikes Companies, our Mission is to build a highly successful company which our employees are proud of, our customers value, and the communities we serve can count on.
This position ensures our 230+ CEFCO Convenience Store locations have the right products to operate at the optimal competitive cost and margin. The Category Manager leads data-driven insights for category trends that support and drive CEFCO’s strategy by providing analytics and thought leadership.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a great team of collaborative professionals who are truly passionate about what they do.
Pricing & Marketing:
- Sets competitive pricing points and adjusts the pricing to increase sales and clear stagnant items from inventory.
- Reviews and analyzes sales and gross profit contributions for each category and individual product movement within categories.
- Maintains a constant pulse of market developments, including consumer needs, competitive offerings and brand position.
- Partners with vendors to expand successful product lines, and implements exit strategies for unsuccessful or unpopular merchandise.
- Markets a product or product line to include pricing and availability balanced with consumer demand.
- Keeps informed of new products and programs by competitive store visits, vendor contacts and trade articles.
- Acts as expert in providing the right products at the right time for the right price
- Analyzes results of promotional activity within assigned categories.
- Completes competitive market surveys as necessary. Makes retail adjustments based on findings of surveys.
Planning and Inventory Management:
- Manages vendor relationships including selection of vendors, negotiation of prices, delivery and payment terms.
- Works with vendors on new products, discontinued products, in and out distributions, additional demands, promotions, reduction of out of stocks and processing credits and returns.
- Partners with distributors to minimize cost and maximize margins in assigned categories.
- Fosters positive and productive vendor relationships to ensure in-store pricing and marketing as in sync with company goals.
- Develops and coordinates promotional programs, advertising and POS with vendors and ensures communications and implementation at store level.
- Communicates and negotiates the best programs available through suppliers and vendors.
- Manages inventory and plans effectively to maximize the profitability of the inventory flow.
- Evaluates, selects and procures products and services of acceptable quality and quantity.
- Balances projected forecasts and actual sales.
- Creates trend forecasts and implements sales plans.
- Improves the speed of inventory turnover within the category.
- Performs financial analysis as part of planning inventory.
- Communicates with all departments to ensure effective implementation or marketing programs.
- 5+ years of category management experience (C-Store environment is preferred)
- Must possess thorough understanding of retail insights.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must possess the ability to produce timely deliverables and manage multiple and shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong presentation/selling skills.
- Possess the ability to manage and persuade at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.