As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for five consecutive years.
The UW Enrollment Information Services has an outstanding opportunity for a Web Developer.
Enrollment Information Services, a unit within Enrollment Management, supports the Provost as well as units in Enrollment Management including Undergraduate Admissions, Financial Aid and Veterans Center, the Office of the University Registrar, International Student Services, and the central Enrollment Management Administrative office. The Web Computing Specialist (Web Developer) for Enrollment Information Services (EIS) will work with Enrollment Management staff and managers to develop and maintain web solutions for business needs and functions. The position reports to the Associate Director of Enrollment Information Services, and is responsible for supporting and assisting such web content needs as design, development, systems integration, documentation, and content. It is also responsible for the operation of hundreds of web pages and numerous enterprise-class/web-based applications. The Web Developer provides technical expertise in web application development and in systems integration; it must also demonstrate professional competence in computer systems and web programming. The position requires ongoing collaboration with academic and administrative units across campus (such as UW IT and University Marketing and Communications) in areas of research, development, testing and maintenance, in order to support the Enrollment Management Division’s online presence. The position requires understanding of various programming languages and strategies and best practices; and must be able to communicate with organizational leadership to develop, support, and maintain web initiatives and directives for business needs and functions. The Web Developer will serve as a member of our Enrollment Information Services web team.
Enrollment Information Services is a campus-wide resource for policies and procedures and provides a variety of web services that serve faculty, staff and students. Our web presence serves as a prominent face of the University not just within the University but to the general public and to other institutions of higher learning.
The Web Developer plays a key role for the Division of Enrollment Management by developing and programming web services and managing the content and dissemination of critical information important to and in support of faculty, staff, students, and the general public. Our current web presence has grown to a level that requires a Web Developer with a high level of technical and specialized training to develop and maintain multiple sites and applications on a full-time basis. Our public exposure requires an experienced Web Developer who will enable us to appropriately represent the University and who is trained to take advantage of current and developing technologies.
Design and Development
- Strategic and collaborative design and development of web services and applications.
- Collaborate with other Enrollment Management positions in Enrollment Management web projects.
- Participate in University web committees and meetings.
- Implement solutions to improve web site operations and functionality through the development and design of programs, scripts and web-based tools.
- Modify, develop, and maintain online user interfaces and web applications.
- Work in partnership with university academic units, Enrollment Management units, Student Information Systems, departmental staff, and third-party software vendors to analyze and test various systems for usability, compatibility and integration of external resources.
- Produce standards-compliant web pages.
- Implement, manage, and support content management systems for divisional web needs.
- Ensure secure handling of confidential and FERPA-protected data.
- Secure website content and databases by following UW-IT recommended configurations and through consultation with the UW-IT CISO office. Remain abreast of security threats and risks.
- Provide technical and architectural leadership to developers through code reviews, application enhancements, testing, bug fixing and problem solving.
- Participate in strategy sessions and technical reviews with key stakeholders and organizational leaders.
- Work with the business owners to create functional specifications for projects, setting expectations and determining development timelines.
- Work with subject matter experts (SMEs) within Enrollment Management and other offices to maintain editorial integrity of content.
- Respond to content update requests in a timely fashion by working with subject matter experts.
- Respond to technical inquiries and feedback related to web sites and web applications.
- This position may supervise or manage the supervision of Student Interns or Student Employees on an as-needed basis.
- Monitor workflow and respond to system problems or emergency situations that may occur during scheduled or non-scheduled work hours.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field AND at least two years' experience in production management, web page design, web application development, software engineering design patterns, XHTML/CSS, scripting, and web graphics types, and accessibility standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, user liaison skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing a large-scale complex web site.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with minimum supervision.
- Must be able to exercise initiative and judgment and be able to manage details accurately.
- Desire and ability to learn new technologies and procedures, and to share knowledge with colleagues.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- 4-5 years' experience in production management, web page design.
- Experience leading or working within a small team of developers.
- Experience with Agile or similar project management principles.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.