Oversees and performs installations, maintenance and monitoring of the system infrastructure. Responsible for the planning, engineering, implementation, and design of operating systems and software solutions, as required for system infrastructures. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for architecture, design input, and guidance relating to the Windows and/or Linux client/server platform, desired configuration management (DCM), and OS/Software/Patch packaging/deployment. Cross business and IT team collaboration for reporting, asset control (both hardware and software), and virtualization (application, desktop, profile) will likewise be required. Tests and evaluates systems to eliminate problems and make improvements. Resolves day-to-day issues, requests, and support calls.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Other duties and special projects may be assigned)
SENIOR LEVEL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees and performs system infrastructure technical service functions, including design, engineering, architecture planning, and policy/procedure development.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Provides advanced technical support for technicians to successfully resolve problems.
- Maintains accurate and current documentation of the system infrastructure environment, including installation settings, specifications and system requirements.
- Serves as the primary technical contact for technical staff in resolving problems and/or unusual situations encountered with system infrastructure hardware and software.
- Consistently renders exceptional customer service internally and externally.
- Travels to other offices within the region to provide support services on an as-needed basis.
- Remains current and ensures employee knowledge and adherence to Bank policies and procedures.
- Leads / manages implementation projects to ensure success.
- Evaluates vendor hardware and software products to provide recommendations to management.
- Ensures recommendations are consistent with organizational short and long-term goals.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of the overall enterprise client/server platform and strategy
- Architecture and design of workflow automations and deployments
- Client and server OS provisioning and deployment
- Review and provide guidance on client/server Active Directory Group Policy objects
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Remains current on industry practices, equipment and standards.
- Provides support for the team to successfully resolve problems.
- Participates in all contingency planning and disaster recovery.
- Manages technical projects as directed by management within budget and assigned timeframes.
- Proactively monitors applications/systems to capture potential issues (e.g. alerts, performance) before they occur.
- Ensures application/system environments are fully maintained with appropriately supported updates, patches and/or service packs.
- Mentors junior team members.
Applicable to Level III
- Monitors the support pipeline, re-assigns assignments as needed to keep an even balance of work within the department.
- Communicates and is the focal point for the dissemination of information from management to the team and vice versa.
- Assists with the development of team members to enhance skills and promote cross-training.
- Recommends and assists with developing improvements around support processes, tools, standards and the overall performance and level of support provided by the team.
- Troubleshoots areas of poor performance and identifies effective solutions to resolve issues both in the immediate future and for the longer term.
- Ensures the team delivers a professional, customer-focused and high performing level of support.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with employees and management at all levels.
- Knowledge of installing and designing a system infrastructures
- Knowledge of database concepts and operability.
- Understanding of common database query technologies and techniques (e.g. queries, stored procedures, views, etc.)
- Knowledge of system infrastructure (routers, switches, servers, desktops, and operating systems).
- Specialization in one or more of the core infrastructure technologies (Windows, Linux, Virtualization, Storage, Messaging, Operational Monitoring, Data Protection, and Disaster Recovery)
- Messaging applications (Exchange, Skype, Teams, O365)
- Experienced producing client/server infrastructure architectures
- Experience with Active Directory and supporting technologies (policy, preferences, etc.)
- Experience in Linux and Windows systems environment.
- Experience in virtualization (VMWare, etc.)
- Foundational knowledge of cloud technologies (O365, Azure, AWS)
- Experience with scripting languages (PowerShell, Python, etc.)
- Preferred: Migration or support experience of on premise to cloud technologies
- Experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g.,Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, etc)
- Preferred: Knowledge and experience with working in an environment with regulatory standards (SOX, PCI, FFIEC, HIPAA, ISO, etc)
A four-year college degree is preferred but not required. Equivalent work experience related to system engineering. Experience with client/server infrastructure architecture and/or operations required.
Minimum High School Diploma or equivalency required.
System Engineer I-Minimum 2-4 years of computer-related support experience
System Engineer II-Minimum 4-6 years of computer-related support experience
System Engineer III-Minimum 6+ years of computer-related support experience
Ability to speak, read and write in the English language; Spanish (or other languages) helpful. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos; write simple correspondence; and effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; and compute rate, ratio, and percent; and to draw and interpret bar graphs. An understanding of higher mathematical concepts may be required for specific departments.
REASONING AND ANALYSIS ABILITY:
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Technology related certifications are preferred