Upper School Spanish Teacher
Bay View Academy(BVA) is a thriving and expanding public, independent K-8 charter school, authorized by the Monterey County Office of Education (MCOE) in 2011.
We build strong, collaborative relationships to fuel a diverse, inclusive community committed to lifelong learning.
Empowered global citizens building meaningful lives and community.
Bay View Academy seeks dynamic teachers, committed to thematic, inquiry-based, student-centered instructional practices. Teachers report to the Head of School. Each teacher independently delivers an educational program within the framework of the Common Core Standards, California curriculum frameworks, BVA pedagogy, and in accordance with school policies and legal statutes. This position is a 1.0 FTE Spanish teacher for grades 5-8.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to speak, read, and write in Spanish
- Teaching credential for the State of California or equivalent
- Experience teaching Spanish to elementary and/or middle school children
- Enthusiastic and effective teaching style
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to use personal computers and iPads, including applications, word processing, email, and grade management software
- Ability to integrate technology into classroom instruction
- Ability to differentiate instruction for student learning styles and levels
- Cross-cultural language and academic development emphasis (CLAD) or equivalent
- Master's degree in an education field or the specific subject matter being taught
- Experience working with an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
- Experience teaching in charter schools and/or California public schools
- Experience providing occasional translation support for parents/staff
- Experience working within a diverse, multicultural community
Duties Related to Planning and Preparation:
Teachers will possess a comprehensive understanding of the content to be taught, knowledge of the students’ backgrounds (personal, social, educational), and design effective instruction and assessment. More specifically, teachers will:
- Design sequential and effective standards‐based instruction that engages all students in learning
- Select and generate appropriate instructional goals and objectives that demonstrate a strong knowledge of content areas
- Accurately assess student learning through formative and summative assessment
- Demonstrate a variety of instructional and assessment techniques that appropriately meet students’ diverse needs and learning styles
Duties Related to the Classroom Environment:
Teachers will establish an environment conducive to learning, including both the physical and interpersonal aspects of the environment. More specifically, teachers will:
- Create an environment of respect and rapport that honors the dignity of all learners
- Establish a culture of learning and an environment of positive social interaction that actively engages students in learning and self motivation
- Establish and implement appropriate classroom procedures that effectively manage student behaviors
- Establish and maintain a classroom expectation that challenges students to strive for excellence in all that they do
Duties Related to Instruction:
Teachers will engage students in learning. Specifically, teachers will:
- Communicate clearly and accurately in explaining lesson objectives and assignments; in maintaining clear, firm, and reasonable work standards; and in other areas of instruction as appropriate
- Effectively adapt instruction based on formative assessment to ensure student learning
- Use appropriate and varied instructional techniques that effectively utilize resources to maximize student learning
Duties Related to Personal/Professional Responsibilities:
Teachers will display a high level of professionalism. Specifically, teachers will:
- Grow and develop professionally, seeking out opportunities to improve educational knowledge
- Demonstrate a commitment to the betterment of the school through enthusiastic participation on committees and non‐instructional duties as assigned
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism at all times by efficiently handling administrative matters, speaking and writing effectively, properly adhering to internal procedures and policies, effectively interacting and clearly communicating with co‐workers and families, and maintaining accurate records
Duties Related to Professional Development
- Participate in the BVA teacher evaluation program
- Participate in all required in-service trainings, and take advantage of optional trainings
- Identify and pursue other professional development programs and activities as need arises and opportunities present themselves
- Participate in grade-level, and school-wide curriculum planning and coordination, as well as various school committees
Incorporated within one or more of the essential functions of this position are the following essential physical requirements:
- Ability to see for the purposes of reading instructional materials, documents and other printed matter, for observing students and for the safe operation of equipment
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels in person and/or on the telephone
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation in person and/or on the telephone
- Ability to operate computer, typewriter, calculator, copy machine, telephone and other office equipment with dexterity and in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to routinely lift/carry office supplies and printed materials weighing up to 25 pounds
- Physical agility to sit, stand, kneel, walk, push/pull, squat, twist, turn, bend, stoop, and to reach overhead
- Physical stamina sufficient to sustain light physical labor for up to 8 hours, sit and/or walk for prolonged periods of time
- Physical mobility sufficient to move about the work environment (office, district, school site to site) for sustained periods of time on hard flooring, climb slopes, stairs, ramps, and to respond to emergency situations
- Physical strength sufficient to periodically lift and/or carry 40 pounds of materials or supplies; occasionally lift 80 or more pounds with assistance
- Occasionally push and/or pull a variety of tools, equipment, or objects weighing 80 or more pounds
School working environment subject to bending, crouching or kneeling to assist students, pushing/pulling and lifting of instructional equipment and supplies, sitting on chairs and/or floor and leaning over desks for prolonged periods of time and reaching in all directions. Typically indoor work environment; may require some limited exposure to outdoor environment in order to supervise students. When working outdoors may be exposed to a wide range of temperatures; with exposure to extreme weather conditions, which include but are limited to; heat, cold, rain, wind, and high humidity.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Up to 10 years teaching experience accepted for placement on the salary schedule. Retirement benefits through the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Application Deadline & Process
To apply, submit an application through Edjoin. Position remains open until filled.
To guarantee consideration, apply by the posted Initial Review Date. The search committee may review applications received after this date at its sole discretion.
Equal Opportunity & Accessibility
Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or genetic information. The Bay View Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
BVA works to make information and events accessible to all. If you need disability-related assistance or accommodation during the application process, including auxiliary aids or services, please direct requests to 831-717-4630.BVA is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be discriminated against as a result of such a request.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $48,039.00 to $53,722.00 /year
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Teaching Spanish: 1 year (Preferred)
- CA Teaching Credential (Preferred)
- United States (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts