Full Job Description
The Patient Access Representative I directly interacts with
patients on the phone and/or in person under direct supervision to support
front office business operations in a hospital or hospital based clinic
location. They maintain a patient centered attitude at all times,
demonstrating compassion and empathy for patients and their families.
They work as part of an elite team to support UT Southwestern operations and
initiatives. They may be required to travel to both on and off-campus
locations. This position offers a career ladder based on progressive
responsibilities and performance.
Experience and Education
High school diploma or GED is required
1-3 years’ experience in a Customer Service field preferred
2 years’ experience in a Clinical/Medical office setting preferred
1. Pre-register/Register patients for scheduled/unscheduled services,
inpatient/outpatient procedures within all applicable hospital based areas.
2. Interview patient(s) and/or their representative at workstation or
bedside to obtain demographic/insurance information or verify information
already on file. All registrations performed utilizing available up to date
technology (i.e. carts/workstation on wheels, tablets, etc)
3. Obtain copies of necessary identification and insurance cards.
4. Document appropriate information in the registration system based
upon departmental documentation standards.
5. Accurate and timely deployment of legal and compliance consent
forms and documents.
6. Initiates the Advance Directive process when applicable.
7. Ensures all patients are continually informed of their visit
status when services are delayed.
8. Initiate, obtain and/or update insurance verification as
appropriate for patient services.
9. Coordinate accurate patient data to determine financial
obligation. Collection of insurance co-payments, deductible amounts, self-pay
deposits and patient balances from the patient/guarantor. Request full or
partial payment for services rendered according to collection policies.
10. Follows all guidelines set forth in the Cash Handling policy.
Produce paperwork on each patient for distribution to appropriate departments.
11. Obtain ABN's and/or non-covered notice forms when applicable.
12. Learn and maintain up to date knowledge of registration system
user operations, front line workflows and policies and procedures
13. Deliver superior customer service, representing UT Southwestern in
a positive and professional manner to patients, colleagues and the community
following AIDET guidelines.
14. Greets and direct/escort patients and/or visitors to appropriate
location, providing information as needed or obtain transport assistance.
15. Build rapport and effective communication with internal and
external team members to ensure best outcomes for the patient(s) in our care
16. Maintain neatness of waiting area and assigned workspace; keeps
area stocked with pamphlets and other materials as appropriate. Ensure adequate
inventory of items necessary for day-to-day functions of assigned registration
location, such as office supplies and patient forms.
17. Release patient records as needed.
18. Knowledge of various regulatory agencies: The Joint Commission,
Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, State & Federal Laws,
19. Meet established department productivity, collections and quality
20. Meets/exceeds performance expectations and completes work within
the required timeframe.
21. Protects the privacy and security of patient health information to
ensure that confidentiality is maintained. Adheres to HIPAA guidelines when
22. Work with physician offices, insurance verification, financial
counseling and/or patients when an insurance issue becomes apparent.
23. Coordinates with case management, physician's office and/or
ancillary department regarding any additional information needed on their part
to obtain pre-certification and insurance benefits
24. Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy,
Core Values and "Mission and Value Statement"
25. Search MPI completely to ensure that we are using the correct
medical record number. Notify HIM for any duplicate unit numbers
26. Performs other related duties and projects as assigned. This job
description should not be considered an exhaustive listing of all duties and
responsibilities performed in this position. Our practice encourages all
employees to develop personal and professional goals for themselves and will
provide opportunities for continued growth and development.
27. Maintains a patient centered attitude at all times, demonstrating
compassion and empathy for patients and their families.
28. ACD Line- monitor and appropriately direct calls and/or assist as
29. RightFax- monitor and complete registrations/direct faxes as
Level Specific Duties
30. Knowledge of policies regarding services, pricing, insurance
billing, and payment of account.
31. Monitors the correct patient work queue for the assigned
32. Schedule walk-in appointments if applicable.
Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, &
Light lifting (requires lifting 20 lbs, with frequent carrying of
up to 20 lbs)
Good general health and stress coping ability. Ability to
speak and hear to allow discussions with patients, co-workers and public
Possess near vision acuity for accurate reading of computer
Basic computer data entry and typing skills
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Excellent internal and external customer service skills
Ability to work with confidential information on a daily basis
Effective and Efficient Problem Solving
Ability to read and write effectively
Ability to multitask
Type minimum of 35 wpm
Understand and follow established policies and procedures
Experience with Microsoft Office and Outlook
Experience with general office equipment (fax, copier, etc.)
Work is performed while sitting in an office environment, at the
patient bedside via workstation on wheels or tablet and/or Kiosk
This position is security-sensitive and
subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to
obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational
and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the
University community. In accordance with federal and state law, the University
prohibits unlawful discrimination, including harassment, on the basis of: race;
color; religion; national origin; sex; including sexual harassment; age;
disability; genetic information; citizenship status; and protected veteran
status. In addition, it is UT Southwestern policy to prohibit
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender