MASTER'S DEGREE REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
The primary role of the Case Manager is to provide ongoing services and supports in the community to homeless/formerly homeless veterans enrolled in the HUD-VASH (Housing & Urban Development - Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing) Case Management Program presenting with complex treatment and housing needs. Core daily activities include outreach, service coordination, home visitation, and linkage to medical/behavioral health/substance abuse treatment/housing services/public benefits
All services are grounded in a Housing First philosophy and are designed to help enrolled veterans referred by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs secure and maintain stable housing and prevent a return to homelessness.
Minimum MSW or a Master’s degree specializing in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) and a minimum of two (2) consecutive years of relevant case management experience working with homeless population or similarly challenging adult population; greater than 3 years of relevant case management experience strongly preferred.
Candidates who clearly do not meet the minimum requirements of the position will not be considered.
LOCATION: Greater Los Angeles area (Kern, Los Angeles and Los Angeles County, Oxnard, Pasadena, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary team of professionals, engages and provides case management services to high needs homeless/formerly homeless Veterans with active mental illness, substance abuse disorders, and co-occurring medical conditions in the community and their homes.
- Coordinates with our Housing Team; plays an active role in the home finding process.
- Strong working knowledge of public and private social welfare programs/services; connects veterans to VA and community resources, makes appropriate referrals to community and other governmental agencies.
- Accurately assesses psychosocial functioning and needs of Veterans and their family members toward formulating and implementing treatment plans.
- Monitor Veterans’ ability to pay rent and other expenses, problem solving and intervening as necessary and appropriate.
- Monitor Veterans’ ability to function independently and maintain wellness in the community.
- Conducts psychosocial assessments and provides service coordination to a wide variety of individuals representing diverse, cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
- Accompanies Veteran to medical and or other appointments in the community, as needed.
- Ability to accurately and expediently document all services rendered in an electronic health record system; must have good computer proficiency.
- Demonstrated strong professional writing skills required.
- Participates in daily, weekly and ad-hoc team meetings, individual supervision sessions.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum MSW or a Master’s degree specializing in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) and a minimum of two (2) consecutive years of relevant case management experience working with homeless population or similarly challenging adult population; greater than 3 years of relevant case management experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working with Veterans, homeless populations, and/or people with active mental illness/co-occurring behavioral health and or substance abuse disorders strongly preferred.
- Prior experience working in housing/supportive housing programs strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain emergency accessibility, work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel independently throughout the community.
This is a field-based position involving substantial time in the community inclusive of private homes, the shelter system, hospitals, and other public settings.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a Security/background investigation via NACI (National Agency Check with Written Inquiries) and a SAC (Special Agreement Check) which includes electronic fingerprinting and drug screening.
U.S. citizenship or legal resident status will be verified as part of this process. Each staff member must complete a credentialing process at the local VA medical center (i.e. Vet Pro).
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Carlos L. Lopez & Associates is committed to a drug free workplace. This position will require a pre-employment drug test.
Job Type: Full-time
- Case Management: 2 years (Required)