The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS is seeking an intern to join the Projects on U.S. Leadership in Development and Prosperity and Development starting on May 14, 2018. Internships are seasonal and typically last 4 months with the option of being extended until 6 months based on performance. Applicants should indicate in their cover letter their available start date and hours. Interns are paid via monthly stipend.
Interns are primarily responsible for conducting research on international development, international organizations, corporate social responsibility (CSR), and trade issues. Interns also lead social media efforts, write blog posts, and assist in event planning and management. Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters with a strong writing background and excellent attention to detail. He/she reports to the Associate Director, Jena Santoro.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Conduct literature reviews, and compile and analyze data for ongoing research projects
- Provide other research, writing and editing support for various reports and documents
- Generate daily material and manage content on Twitter, Facebook, the CSIS website, and the program’s development blog, CSIS Prosper
- Assist and organize meetings and conferences including Chevron Forums and the Careers in Global Development series
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of the program manager and other staff members
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
- Bachelor's degree (or current student with junior standing) in economics, international development, or a related field.
- Minimum of 35 hours/week availability, with full-time preferred.
- Superb communication skills and ability to communicate ideas clearly in various written formats.
- Outstanding attention to detail; proven ability to advance research projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
- Experience using Twitter and Facebook in a professional capacity.
- Experience in managing and coordinating high-level events.
- Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple assignments while maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humor.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.