Yew Chung International School
310 Easy Street
Mountain View, California
Job Title: Chinese Coordinator
Program: Elementary School and Middle School
Reports to: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
The K - 8 Chinese Coordinator works in an administrative leadership role to support and enhance the mission and vision of the School, which is based on the Yew Chung Education Philosophy and Objectives. Through appropriate educational leadership practices and a progressive educational approach in a bilingual and multicultural learning environment, the K - 8 Chinese Coordinator serves teachers, staff, and the YCIS Silicon Valley community to ensure an exemplary learning environment and will also assist the Chinese language and culture programming for all students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the principal in developing and maintaining an effective educational program consistent within the YCIS philosophy, policies and goals of the Board.
- Propose schedules of classes and extracurricular activities; help schedule courses, students and teachers.
- Assign recess, lunch and other student supervision duties for all teachers.
- Work with departments in compiling the annual budget requests.
- Assist in the reporting and monitoring of student attendance.
- Assist in maintaining discipline throughout the student body; deal with special cases as necessary.
- Supervise teachers and departments as assigned by the principal.
- Assist with the after school YALP program and work with the YALP coordinator to ensure quality after school program.
- Supports the established vision for the school.
- Collaborates with the Senior Leadership Team (Principal and Business Manager) and YCEF Regional Director in designing, implementing, supervising and evaluating the co-teaching and Chinese Studies program for the campus.
- Demonstrates knowledge of curriculum and instructional strategies and research bearing on the instructional practice of the campus.
- Ensures the strategic plan is implemented to meet the needs of the campus.
- Promotes high expectations for parents, staff and students.
- Other duties as assigned (read reporting, etc.)
- Resolves parent/student issues and concerns in a timely manner.
- Facilitates activities and events to recognize students’ efforts and accomplishments.
- Supervises extra-curricular activities as directed by the Principal.
Management of Administrative, Fiscal and/or Facilities Functions:
- Assists Principal in researching, recommending, implementing and administering campus policies and procedures.
- Submits reports promptly and accurately.
- Ensures proper maintenance of student records.
- Maintains and archives Chinese Studies department documents and minutes.
- Participates in special program meetings as requested by principal.
- Coordinates resource and materials requests.
- Coordinates community and school events.
Human Resource Management:
- Assists Principal with the recruitment, hire, induction and placement of Chinese Studies staff and supervises and evaluates Chinese teacher performance.
- Assists Principal to ensure effective/efficient Chinese Studies staffing of the campus, including substitutes.
- Represents the Chinese Studies program at student recruitment and school promotional events. This may include some evening and weekend events.
- Supports the mission and vision of the YCEF Foundation and school.
- Monitors available Chinese Studies assessment data to ensure student learning is achieved.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Guides assigned staff in the planning and implementation of professional development that increases effectiveness and improves Chinese Studies outcomes.
- Be available to offer or organize in-house professional development for our Chinese Studies outcomes.
Academic Excellence Indicators and Campus Performance Objectives:
- Facilitates the administration of Chinese Studies testing, including standardized testing.
- Monitors and reviews campus test data and uses findings to drive future development and planning of the improvement of the Chinese Studies program.
- Emphasizes and nurtures effective communication between the school and community.
- Responds in a timely manner to parent and community requests.
- Assists the Principal, Business Manager, Preschool Coordinator, Director of Admissions, and marketing assistant in marketing and admissions when necessary.
- The Assistant Principal will teach one Chinese class, grade level and time is to be determined based on skillset.
- Provides first aid and completes all required reporting and documentation on accidents and injuries.
- Maintains regular, ongoing, open communication with parents about the Chinese Studies program.
- Keeps abreast of current practice and theories in education through ongoing professional development of additional language acquisition and educational leadership.
- Translate documents from English to Chinese, and Chinese to English as necessary.
- Participate and organize whole school events.
- Assist in the development and organization of the YCIS Summer Camp.
- Assist in the development and organization of the YCIS International Camp.
- Academic contests on campus and outside of campus.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Skills, Abilities and Knowledge Requirements
- Fluent (reading, writing, and speaking) in English and Mandarin with a strong set of communication and interpersonal skills.
- A strong commitment to teamwork and to developing and maintaining a cooperative and collaborative working relationship with teachers and staff.
- Good communication, problem solving, and priority setting skills as well as maintaining an overall positive and professional attitude /disposition.
- Ability to create a welcoming and engaging working atmosphere in which teachers feel safe, comfortable and supported in their professional growth.
- Proven ability to establish a positive and healthy relationship with parents and families.
- A warm and friendly personality; patient and respectful; sensitive to the feelings and needs of others; able to adapt and be flexible.
- Strong computer and technology skills. Comfortable with using a range of computer and tablet programs and applications.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree from accredited college or university,
- Experience working with elementary and middle school additional language acquisition, especially teaching Mandarin or Chinese as an Additional Language.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- spend a large portion of the day standing. While standing, the Assistant Principal will frequently hold light objects they are working and demonstrating, etc. He or she must maneuver through the classroom, including tight spaces between desks, etc.
- kneel, squat, stoop, and bend at the waist on an occasional to frequent basis on a given day.
- reach at, below, or above shoulder height with the dominant upper extremity and may require trunk or neck rotation to look back at the class.
- occasionally lift and carry materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
- sit for prolonged periods of the day to work on curriculum development, teacher appraisals, community events, etc.
- grasp and manipulate pens, markers, scissors, staplers, etc. with precision of fine motor skills.
- maintain high emotional energy and display enthusiasm for the subject matter and individual employee effort.
- develop effective coping strategies for dealing with the fatigue and stress of ongoing involvement in developing, supervising, and monitoring of teachers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certificates, Licenses, Clearances, Testing and/or Bonding Required
- This organization requires a successful candidate to provide it with employment eligibility and verification of a legal right to work in the United States in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
- Must complete all background requirements prior to employment: live scan, acknowledgement of child abuse reporting responsibility, criminal record statement and receive satisfactory clearance from all licensing and investigative authorities.
- Must pass health screening and TB skin test or chest x-ray.
- Valid certificate in CPR and pediatric first aid is preferred.
Yew Chung International School is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, color, national origin, creed, age, gender, sexual orientation or disability or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Job Type: Full-time