Posting Number: 010121
Posting Date: 01/07/2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: B26, $69,415 - $117,397/yr.
Number of Vacancies: 1 Full Time
FLSA Status: Computer-Exempt / Network Specialist VI (0292)
Work Location Address: 611 East 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701
Performs highly advanced (senior-level) network work. Work involves directing activities associated with a local area network or wide area network Internet and intranet systems, and other data networks; planning, designing, and integrating data telecommunications networks; designing, installing, and monitoring networks; monitoring and analyzing existing hardware and software; developing policies and procedures; preparing budget recommendations; and evaluating potential network enhancements. May coordinate the work of others. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Technical Services Supervisor.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university is required. (Relevant work experience, in excess of the required four years experience listed below, may be substituted for college on a year-for-year basis.) OR Graduation from a two-year Technical College with major coursework in networking is required.
- Four years experience with WAN and Ethernet LAN management is required.
- Four years configuring Network Routers and Switches is required.
- Four years experience in Microsoft server management is preferred
- Four years experience administering Active Directory Services is preferred
- Two years experience with hardware virtualization technologies (such as VMware or Microsoft) is preferred.
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting server hardware and components is preferred.
- Experience supporting Domain Name Services is preferred.
- Experience with Voice over IP telephony technologies is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 administration is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Exchange server administration is preferred.
- Experience with network and endpoint security software is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows PowerShell administration and scripting is preferred.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays and travel up to 10% for work-related purposes as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of networks, network management, systems, and application security and of personal computer hardware and software.
- Advanced knowledge of domain and network design and topologies.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows server and desktop operating systems.
- Extensive knowledge of microcomputers and peripherals.
- Extensive knowledge of file management and disk utilization for I/O optimization.
- Skills in inductive and deductive reasoning.
- Ability to use and operate standard office and computer equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot network problems and develop appropriate solutions.
- Ability to work within a team environment to produce high-quality results.
- Ability to interpret and comply with the State Lottery Act, Lottery Rules, Bingo Enabling Act, Bingo Rules and
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, users, management, and staff.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to stand or sit for extended periods of time and operate standard office and computer equipment.
- Ability to occasionally lift, carry, and manipulate equipment up to 50 pounds.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directs or conducts major studies regarding system usage, makes recommendations for improvements, and determines network system requirements.
- Directs performance tuning and capacity planning activities to enhance the performance of the network resources.
- Reviews network system plans for completeness and accuracy, and plans and schedules network studies and system implementations.
- Analyzes existing network and system procedures for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Analyzes and defines agency disaster recovery responsibilities and procedures.
- Develops policies and procedures designed to ensure the integrity of local area network or wide area network environments.
- Integrates local area network or wide area network requirements into the agency’s information resources and business plans.
- Determines operational, technical, and support requirements for the location, installation, operation, and maintenance of data communications, agency network systems, and supporting technologies.
- Evaluates network technologies for potential acquisition and directs the evaluation of various hardware and software resources to identify strengths, weaknesses, and potential benefits to the agency.
- Monitors and defines the requirements of the overall security of the enterprise network.
- Monitors and implements hardware and software solutions to help mitigate a wide variety of network attacks.
- Prepares budget recommendations for network facilities, analyzes user support statistics, and implements appropriate measures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY:
A State of Texas application is required in order to be considered for this position. The preferred method of applying is by submitting a State of Texas Application electronically through the Texas Workforce Commission's workintexas.com online system by 11:59 p.m. of the closing date stated on the job posting. When a job opening is posted open until filled, it is best to apply as soon as possible, as the posting may close or be placed on-hold at any time with or without prior notification. Applications may also be submitted by mail referencing the position number & title by application deadline to: Texas Lottery Commission, Human Resources, P.O. Box 16630, Austin, TX 78761-6630. Applications may be obtained by downloading the State of Texas Application from the TLC website www.txlottery.org, at www.workintexas.com, or Texas Workforce Commission offices located throughout the state. Applications must be received in our Human Resources office or any Lottery Claim Center statewide by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date listed on the posting. Applications submitted via express or overnight delivery mail should be mailed to: Texas Lottery Commission, Human Resources, 611 East 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701. Applications are NOT accepted by email or fax. Applicants are solely responsible for timely submission/delivery of applications by the deadline.
Proud of Our Diversity - Committed to Equal Employment Opportunities
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $69,415.00 - $117,397.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Network Administration: 4 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19