- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or other type of Engineering; or 7+ years of relevant work experience
- 5+ years of management experience
- 2+ years experience leading a shift of 10+ engineers
- 5+ years data center physical infrastructure equipment; strong understanding of control’s systems
- 2+ years of project management
At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on the planet! Amazon is a place where builders can build. We hire the world's brightest minds and offer them an environment in which they can invent, innovate and ultimately improve the customer experience.
The Facility Operations Center (FOC) is a centralized team that provides 24X7 real time monitoring, incident response, communications management and reporting for all data center physical critical infrastructure globally. The prospective manager will have primary responsibility for overseeing operations for a single Facility Operation Center and may manage multiple locations. They will ensure optimal customer service by way of consistency, reliability and attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will need to have an advanced understanding of data center facilities infrastructure and knowledgeable in data center IT Infrastructure and how the two entities co-exist. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of managers, entry level and middle level operating engineers as well as shift leads within the Facility Operations Center. The position will help ensure overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed defined service levels. Qualified candidates must also have experience functioning in a large-scale data center environment. The manager will assist in the development and execution of vision and goals for the Facility Operation center. This skill is essential, as the candidate will help lead alignment of the Facility Operations Center with the larger objectives of other business and peer organizations. The manager of this team will play a key role with growing the team to a standard of operational excellence.
The manager of Facility Operations is an individual who must lead by example. The nature of this position encompasses a balance of tactical and strategic planning to drive initiatives and deliver results. Facility Operations is a high impact customer and vendor-facing environment. The ability to work independently in a constantly changing environment and the ability to assess critical service affecting situations is an absolute must.
This is a representative list of the general duties that may be required of the position and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Manage the team towards departmental and companywide goals
- Hire, supervise, coach and develop FOC managers and engineers
- Excellent and positive communications skills when working with customers, vendors and employees
- Proven leadership capabilities including the skill to develop and motivate others
- Oversee operations, escalations, ticketing and communications with customers (internal & external)
- Develop and review metrics to drive performance and ensure the Facility Operations Center meets or exceeds established service level agreements
- Ongoing development of processes and procedures to meet changing environment
- Develop and review documentation associated with processes and procedures
- Drive recommendations for tools develop which will increase productivity and team performance.
Must be able to support a 24X7 environment to include weekends and holidays.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for success at Amazon:
- Strong customer focus approach and perspective
- Ability to review and work complex issues where analysis of situations and/or data requires an in-depth analysis of root cause and problem solving
- Anticipates business priorities and develops action plans to meet those requirements
- Able to dive deep and never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
- Take a lead role in the strategic direction of the team, striving for innovation and simplification
- Results orientated and able to think beyond the status quo
- Able to translate business requirements into functional action plans or technical solutions
- Able to be the technical leader on supported services
- Influence and drive best practices globally
- Participate in the global hiring process by reviewing resumes, performing phone screens and interviewing candidates
- 7+ years’ experience supporting facility critical infrastructure a large-scale data center
- 5+ years’ experience in a Network Operations Center (NOC)
- 3+ years’ experience IT support
- The ideal candidate not only understands data center IT Infrastructure, data center facilities infrastructure, and how the two entities co-exist, but has proven ability to work between the two groups
- Able to remain cool, calm, and collected under high pressure situations while effectively managing multiple tasks
- Proven success managing time and managing multiple projects in a high growth environment where priorities shift quickly
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with high attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills when working with key decision-makers
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Comfortable driving creative solutions in a fast-paced environment, a strong advocate for our customers, and driven to create a best-in-class operating center
- Experience prioritizing competing demands, scoping large efforts, and negotiating timelines
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation