NORTHWEST HORTICULTURAL COUNCIL
105 SOUTH 18th STREET, SUITE 105
YAKIMA, WASHINGTON 98901 USA
(509) 453-3193 | www.nwhort.org
Technical Issues Specialist
The Northwest Horticultural Council (NHC) is a nonprofit trade association, based in Yakima, Washington, that represents the tree fruit (apple, pear, and cherry) industry of Idaho, Oregon, and Washington on federal and international policy and regulatory matters. The tree fruit growers, packers, and shippers in our region produce approximately 80 percent of the fresh apples, 90 percent of the fresh pears, and 87 percent of the fresh cherries in the U.S. Roughly one-third of the production is exported each year. Producers from the Pacific Northwest account for over 90 percent of the U.S. apple and pear exports and 85 percent of U.S. cherry exports.
With a staff of eight, the NHC is an advocacy group that engages with the private sector, academia, government, and non-governmental bodies. The technical issues specialist will work with lead NHC staff on all manner of subjects of a technical and regulatory nature pertaining to domestic and international commerce.
A successful candidate will have a technical, legal, or administrative background and skill set that enables them to quickly come up to speed on emerging issues and communicate them effectively. This position reports to the
NHC’s president and will require limited travel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the NHC president, senior vice president, and vice presidents.
- Manage the NHC pesticide maximum residue level database and maintain other technical information on the NHC website.
- Manage technical information and communications for organics.
- Develop plans, write reports, maintain spreadsheets, and generate public comments to support industry initiatives.
- Assist in communicating regulatory requirements to growers, packers, and shippers to avoid noncompliance with governmental regulations in the domestic and international markets.
- Maintain and regularly update industry fact sheets.
- Daily review of the U.S. Federal Register notices and other U.S. and international information sources.
Essential Job Requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- The ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail while responding to unforeseen circumstances and deadlines.
- Five or more years of post-university work experience.
- Microsoft Office fluency.
Preferred Job Requirements:
- Experience working with federal and state regulatory agencies, such as the U.S. Department of
Agriculture or Washington State Department of Agriculture.
- Experience working in a professional service industry office environment.
- Grant, research, or technical writing experience.
Interested candidates should submit letters of application to the NHC at 105 S. 18th Street, Suite 105, Yakima, WA, 98901 or by email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Information on the Northwest Horticultural Council is available at www.nwhort.org.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 5 years (Required)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19