- Adobe Premiere
- Project Management
- Adobe Creative Suite
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
About the Unit
The Multimedia and Graphic Design Manager will play a central role in improving the Institute’s outreach efforts through the production of a variety of creative content, including videos, podcasts, infographics, reports, brochures and other promotional materials of a policy nature. The manager will be a self-starter able to work under minimal supervision and balance competing priorities with ease. The position will report to the Senior Director of Communications and External Engagement. The Energy Policy Institute at Chicago (EPIC) is an interdisciplinary research and training institute focused on the economic and social consequences of energy policies. Established in June 2011, EPIC is a joint initiative of the Booth School of Business, The Harris School of Public Policy, the Law School, and the Social Sciences Division. EPIC strives to marry world-class research and data analysis with comprehensive outreach and engagement in order to translate knowledge into impact.
Responsible for planning, preparing, publishing, and disseminating University sponsored information both internally and externally. Prepares written, graphical, audio, and visual material to support the communications to press and government agencies.
Career Track and Job Level
Oversees the development and execution of a wide range of design projects. Develops design standards and concepts for University advertising and communications materials.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job provides professional support and solves straightforward problems in a range of design projects. Works within defined processes and procedures to develop design standards and concepts for University advertising and communications materials. Completes a variety of assignments, as needed.
1) Conceptualizes and creates graphic artwork, such as charts, graphs or illustrations, for various publications, advertising materials and/or customers with limited supervision., 2) Coordinates all graphic production scheduling, including preparing final layouts for print., 3) Uses on-the-job experience to complete a variety of assignments, such as coordinating production support with outside vendors, as needed., 4) Works within processes to ensure that graphic projects are completed on time, within budget, and to the user's satisfaction. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Multimedia: Produce compelling and highly-professional short highlight videos of the Institute’s research, education and outreach efforts. This includes developing content ideas, coordinating, conducting and taping interviews with an eye towards staging, and artfully incorporating appropriate B-roll and visual elements. Produce the Institute’s “Off the Charts” podcast series. This includes developing content ideas, coordinating, conducting and recording interviews, and identifying creative ways to enhance and promote the series. Serve as the point person for all elements of audio, video, lighting and photography surrounding the Institute’s events. This includes videoing the events, and managing University and outside vendors such as audio, livestream, lighting and photography. Troubleshoot any audio/visual or other technical problems that may arise in the absence of a vendor during events, workshops and other presentations.
2) Graphic Design: Design professional charts and infographics, social graphics, e-mail campaigns and other forms of digital communications. Design print materials such as research summaries, promotional event materials, and other assets. Work with the communications manager to develop design strategies and creative solutions to boost online engagement. Serve as the point person for all printing needs, including coordinating with outside printers and managing the proofing process.
1) Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Audition), Mailchimp and WordPress.
2) Strong video producing and editing skills, with established professional experience in the field.
3) Strong graphic design skills, with established professional experience in the field.
4) Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently with a high degree of initiative and collaboratively as part of a team. Ability to work effectively with management, staff, researchers, students, and outside vendors and collaborators.
5) Strategic thinking, project management and planning skills. Ability to manage and prioritize communications needs, perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines in a timely manner while maintaining professionalism and product quality.
6) Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills, creativity, flexibility and attention to detail.
7) Ability to step in and troubleshoot technology challenges quickly and professionally in a high-stress environment.
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, media studies, film, graphic design, or a related field.
1) Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience.
2) Experience should include producing videos and graphic design elements in a professional capacity.
3) Applicants must have a high level of understanding of video, audio, design and other technical equipment and programs.
2) Cover Letter
3) Video Sample
4) Graphic Design Sample
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before