***This position has been re-opened to extend the pool of qualified candidates. If you have previously applied to this position; you do not need to resubmit another application. Your application may still be under review by the hiring manager.***
Responsible for the planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities and operation of the solid waste collection and disposal functions. Coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies and provide complex administrative support to the Waste Management Administrator and the Director of Public Works.
Assists the Waste Management Administrator with the development and implementation of short and long range strategic goals, objectives, policies and priorities. Establishes appropriate service and staffing levels and allocates resources accordingly.
Serves as the Waste Management Administrator in his/her absence.
Directs and oversees the activities of the Waste Collections and Waste Disposal divisions. Assists in monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures, assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems and internal relationships. Identifies opportunities for improvement and directs the implementation of changes.
Provides managerial oversight and direct supervision of the Waste Management Superintendents to ensure collection and disposal services are environmentally responsible, reliable, and cost effective. Meets with staff to identify and resolve problems, assigns project and programmatic areas of responsibility.
Assists in planning selecting, motivation and evaluating department staff, provides and coordinates training. Works with employees to correct deficiencies. Implements and administers disciplinary and termination procedures.
Assists in managing and participating in the development of the budget, estimates funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies. Assists in developing presentations to City Manager and/or City Council.
Develops and implements the safety program, including but not limited to development of procedures, training, accident and injury review, and implementation of technology as required to ensure the highest level of safety for our citizens and employees.
Assists in meeting with outside agencies to ensure compliance with regulations and codes and resolves situations characterized by non-compliance.
Develops and implements customer service initiatives and takes appropriate action in response to public complaints and/or requests for service.
Responds orally and in writing to sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources.
In addition to the minimum requirements, the ideal candidate for this position will have education and waste management experience listed in the preferences below. Candidates with the preferred experience should ensure the information is provided in the application.
Official City Job Description:
Requires any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or increasingly responsible professional experience equivalent to ten (10) years in solid waste and environmental services.
Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina driver's license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV driver's license eligibility requirements.
Alpha I Status:
Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City's operational status.
All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term departmental needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following preferred experience and demonstrated skills:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in business administration, public administration.
- Highly skilled leadership/management experience in a large operational unit.
- Waste management experience in managing/oversight of waste collections and waste disposal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of waste management equipment to include capabilities of and maintenance for various vehicles and experience in using knowledge to determine procurement needs of new equipment.
- Experience in the development of safety operation procedures and promoting a safe work environment.
- Customer service experience with demonstrated effectiveness in response to public concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing, with the public, contractors, City officials, and employees.
- Program management experiences related to continuous improvement of processes and technology.
- Operational strategic planning and alignment experience related to development and implementation of short and long range organizational goals.
- Local government budgeting experience of an enterprise fund or similar.
- Skill and ability to maintain effective working relations within the organization and other public and private agencies, including citizens and the media.
- Skill and ability in analyzing and solving complex problems and to communicate complex or technical concepts effectively both orally and in writing.
- Skill and ability to organize resources and establish priorities to meet departmental and group goals and objectives.
- Skill in the supervision of a large work force with the ability to coordinate and supervise the work efforts of all assigned divisions to ensure optimum productivity and efficiency and handle difficult personnel issues
- Skill and ability apply technology to improve the effectiveness, efficiency and economy of the waste collection and disposal functions.
Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser's printing capability.
Your responses to any "Supplemental Questions", if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.