The Metropolitan Club is a superior private dining club with a world-class culture and is professionally managed by Commonwealth Hotel Collection. CHC is a hospitality management company with a strong reputation and considered one of the leading franchisee of Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt. We are committed to providing outstanding services to our guests and members through attention to detail, with integrity, pride and intensity. We embrace management values that include a “Whatever It Takes” attitude delivering the highest standards of both guest and associate satisfaction.
The Metropolitan Club strives to provide an environment of member recognition, exclusivity and excellence for those who appreciate the very finest in a club atmosphere. Currently we are looking for a top performing, dynamic team leader to assist the Executive Chef.
The goal of the Sous Chef is to manage a specific area and work with the Executive Chef and to create, implement and maintain quality standards. In some instances, the Sous Chef will be expected to be responsible for the entire operation in the absence of the Executive Chef. The ideal Sous Chef will accomplish their tasks by monitoring the daily functions of the culinary department, including providing support and guidance to the culinary team, ending in a positive guest experience.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES & POSITION PURPOSE
Serve as “second-in-command” of the kitchen. Assist the Executive Chef in supervising food production for all food outlets, banquet events and other functions at the club. Supervise food production personnel, assist with food production tasks as needed and assure that quality and cost standards are consistently attained.
- Must be familiar with and have worked with all kitchen equipment.
- Awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
- Knowledge of food handling and preparation principles and procedures for all foods produced and served in the club.
- Ability to effectively supervise all kitchen food production employees in absence of Executive Chef.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform required role during emergency situations.
- Prepares or directly supervises kitchen staff responsible for the daily preparation of soups, sauces and “specials” to ensure that methods of cooking, garnishing and portion-sizing are as prescribed by club’s standard recipes.
- Assists the Executive Chef with inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning and issuing for food production.
- Conducts daily raw cost tracking counts to ensure that all items are accounted for.
- Codes all invoices to the proper account, enter Transmittal & Food Purchase Budget then turn in to Club Operations Manager.
- Assumes complete charge of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Assists Executive Chef with supervision and training of employees, sanitation and safety, menu planning and related production activities.
- Consistently maintains standards of quality, cost, presentation and flavor of foods.
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Makes recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen and its equipment.
- Prepares reports, arranges employee schedules and costs menus and performs other administrative duties as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Works in any station as assigned by the Executive Chef.
- Assists Executive Chef with the administration of kitchen personnel benefits (vacation, holidays, etc.).
- Consults with dining service personnel during daily line-ups.
- Assists in maintaining security of kitchen, including equipment and food and supply inventories.
- Assists in food procurement, delivery, storage and issuing of food items.
- Expedites food orders during peak service hours.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates kitchen personnel.
- Coordinates buffet presentations.
- Checks mise en place before service time and inspects presentation of food items to ensure that quality standards are met.
- Reports all member and guest complaints to the Executive Chef and assists in resolving complaints.
- Submits ideas for future goals, operational improvements and personnel management to Executive Chef.
- Understands and consistently follows proper sanitation practices including those for personal hygiene.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Performs other appropriate tasks assigned by the Executive Chef.
- 2 years-experience in a similar position
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, manages time well, correctly prioritizes and is flexible
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and possession of a full understanding of professional business ethics, decorum and social skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to perform critical analysis
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor benefiting an upscale customer
- Full understanding of each club product and the market conditions
- Demonstrates self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm
- Team player