Fort Madison, Iowa
Fort Madison, Iowa, population 10,764 is seeking a forward-thinking Police Chief with demonstrated leadership capabilities and the ability to convey a sense of integrity, inspire confidence, respect, trust and a sense of mission.
The successful candidate will have a strong law enforcement background and experience in community-oriented initiatives. In addition, this person will be expected to make organizational changes and serve as a leader, not just an administrator.
The department authorized strength is 19 sworn, including the chief, two civilian staff and reserve officers for special events and supplement patrol operations. Patrol officers work 12-hour shifts. One officer is assigned to the Lee County Narcotics Task Force, and one serves as the school resource officer.
- An Associates of Arts degree in criminal justice, law enforcement, justice administration or related field is required, an advanced degree is desired but not mandatory
- Executive management certificates are also desired but not mandatory (Example FBI, Northwestern Center for Public Safety or similar training).
- 12 years of service in law enforcement, and 5 years supervisory and administrative experience in a full time, paid police department
- Experience in the development and implementation of a department plan, and responsible budgeting and fiscal management.
- Experience with Community Oriented Policing
- Knowledge of employee and labor relations, including working with a union.
- Ability to formulate effective means to evaluate, recognize and develop personnel through career development, succession planning, and leadership development.
Salary and benefits
- The Police Chief is a FLSA exempt position
- Reports to the City Manager
- $75,000 to $85,000 annual. Benefits package including insurance, vacation, and holidays. The City of Fort Madison is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Municipal Fire and Police Retirement System of Iowa
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and meet the licensing standards established by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, www.state.ia.us/ilea within one year. The successful candidate must pass a pre-appointment physical examination including a drug screen.
- Residency within the city limits preferred. Residency required within 10 miles of city limits,
Fort Madison website www.fortmadison-ia.com select Employment from links on left side of homepage
For additional information or to apply send cover letter, resume, and salary history by June 28, 2019 to
Moulder and Associates LLC
515 371 1669
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00 to $85,000.00 /year
- supervisory: 5 years (Required)
- Law Enforcement: 10 years (Required)
- Certified Law Enforcement (Required)