Administrative Support Assistant II
$1,550/month (Part - Time)
$2,600/month - $4,328/month (Full - Time)
Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
- Please note this is a part-time benefited position. Working hours are Monday through Friday from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm.*
Reporting to the department chair and receiving work lead direction from the Department Analyst; this half time position provides clerical support to the graduate program in the department of Psychology. Under direct supervision, this position performs moderate to complex clerical and administrative support duties. This position provides support to other administrative personnel and department students, faculty, and staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts as front-line receptionist, answers phones, greets faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Coordinates and is responsible for the production of department publications including layout, copy editing, and proofreading.
- Coordinates and maintains departmental databases.
- Run errands, sorts, and distributes mail, photocopies exams, and other materials; files and prepare routine correspondence and flyers, troubleshoots office equipment problems.
- Processes key, equipment, and service requests.
- Provides ongoing support to faculty members and Chair.
- Responsible for coordination of special events, receptions, and department convocation.
- Maintains and updates department website.
- Provides administrative support to graduate advisors in coordinating the graduate admissions process for the MA, Clinical and Industrial Organization Psychology programs.
- Maintains applicant files and assists in the coordination of graduate program committee reviews/interviews.
- Works with the office of Graduate Studies and Research to ensure paperwork is complete for admission of each accepted applicant.
- Assists with modification and maintenance of graduate program brochures and applications; creation, modification and distribution of graduate program advertisements and publicity.
- Assists students with add/drop form, petitions, A&R procedures, registration, grade problems, comp exams, thesis, project and candidacy procedures.
Completion of a high school program or its equivalent and one year of experience in an office environment.
- Clerical experience in an office setting (maintaining files, answering phones and customer service)
- Experience in Web development/management software and graphic design skills
- Technical experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), accounting and Human Resources software systems such as PeopleSoft and email programs such as Gmail
- Excellent written communication skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures, and practices; English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to draft, compose, and appropriately format correspondence and standard reports.
- Knowledge of software applications: Word, Excel, database management, Adobe Creative Suite used for graphics design.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Strong website development/management and graphic design skills.
- Ability to ensure completeness, accuracy and timeliness of all operational functions.
June 22, 2018
Application Screening begins July 11, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes:
criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046