A company committed to continuously improving the delivery of our projects with the following core performance goals: 1.) Without accident or incident; 2) Within budget; 3) On schedule; and, 4) Within scope. This role will be a key member of the new project controls department, responsible for supporting project management in establishing and maintaining project controls functions. On a day to day basis, this position develops, implements and maintains/updates schedules for all types of electrical and gas construction projects, and the goal is to ensure projects are completed according to client contract terms.
The Project Controls Specialist is a full time position with benefits based out of the Countryside, IL office and reporting to the Project Controls Manager. The Project Controls Specialist will work with the Project Controls Manager, Project Controls Process Improvement (PCPI) Team and various project leads from all divisions to:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Assist the Project Controls Manager in the implementation of project controls guidelines, processes, practices, performance analysis and reporting. Interface with Project Managers to orient, train and coach in project controls processes and tools as part of the implementation of project controls into the organization.
- Build bid schedules from plans and specifications
- Create, review, progress, monitor, analyze and resolve construction schedules with Project Managers and Field Supervisors; and develop work breakdown structures
- Review cost/resource loading and schedule activities including critical path method.
- Outline relationships, logic, deadlines, potential obstacles, and milestones for project schedules
- Monitor progress and costs on specific, assigned projects and provide timely and accurate reporting.
- Update schedules to reflect actual progress and delays or other impacts, updating actual starts, finishes and remaining durations, actual labor hours and associated costs.
- Analyze updated schedule for earned value schedule metrics and report to management.
- Alert project management of any schedule conditions observed or analyzed that could negatively impact achievement of project performance objectives.
- Provide schedule data to project management to assist in any analysis of performance and to support the change management process; conduct impact analysis for change orders
- Help identify and resolve risks, and resolve cost or schedule discrepancies or variances
- Assist the Project Controls Manager to develop effective project controls training and mentoring.
- Special projects, reporting and other responsibilities as directed by management
- Ability to work on multiple projects while managing deadlines
- Basic working knowledge of construction processes and the Project Control field
- Some construction field experience helpful and ability to read construction drawings
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Primavera software (especially P6). Prefer working knowledge of PENTA accounting software also
- Highly adapt with, and embraces use of latest technology
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; able to proactively conceive and develop new and innovative ideas and/or solutions, and forecast possible outcomes
- Strong organizational and project management skills; able to work to tight deadlines, prioritize duties and work under pressure to ensure milestones are met
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Self-motivated with drive and determination, willing to take responsibility
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and analytically, and make quick and sound decisions
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively as a member of a highly effective team
- Methodical and accurate with consistent attention to detail; punctual and reliable
- Navigates well in a fast-paced environment, able to complete assignments on time
- Positive, can-do attitude; desire and ability to learn
- Resilient to coping with conflicting demands; maintains poise when faced with competing time, project manager, and management requirements
- Flexible attitude; adapts well to quickly changing priorities
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Engineering, Construction Management, Accounting, related discipline or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum 1-3 years of scheduling experience in a construction environment preferred
- Increasingly responsible experience in a variety of aspects of project control systems and/or project management for various project types
- Working background with various contract types: Lump Sum, Time & Materials, Unit Price and hybrid preferred
- General work environment: Work is conducted primarily indoors with varying environmental conditions such as fluorescent lighting and air conditioning, sitting for long periods, standing, walking, typing, carrying, pushing, bending. Work outdoors may also be necessary, visiting other offices and field projects.
- Noise level is usually low to medium
- Occasional lifting of up to 40 lbs.
- Willingness to travel once a week to local job sites (10%)
Job Type: Full-time
- Cost control using Primavera P6: 1 year
- Primavera (P6): 2 years
- Scheduling: 2 years
- Cost Control: 2 years
- Scope Control: 1 year
- Field Construction: 1 year