Job Type: part time, project based, on average 20 hours per week to start
Grace Hill is looking for skilled editors interested in working in a contract position that averages 20 hours/week. The Policy & Procedure Technical Editor will provide technical revision and editing of policies and procedures covering multifamily property management.
On our proprietary policy and procedure software platform, the Editor will seamlessly blend client-provided content with generic content while revising to improve readability. To this end, the Editor will be expected to:
- Recognize misplaced elements (policy vs. procedure vs. purpose) and reorganize content according to standard operating procedure (SOP) format.
- Identify off-topic information and resolve or work with team to resolve (incorporate content into relevant SOPs, create new SOPs, etc.).
- Craft purpose statements based on analysis of SOP focus and purpose.
- Accurately interpret and clarify vague statements and misstatements based on context, cross-referencing of accompanying SOPs, background knowledge, and reasonable inference.
- Write new policy statements as needed to fully express implied requirements.
- Compare and contrast data (within SOPs and across various SOPs) in order to identify conflicting or inconsistent information; communicate discrepancies to team.
- Formulate appropriate questions to team when further clarification or definition is needed.
- Articulate nuances in meaning using appropriate word choice and sentence structure.
- Identify and eliminate redundancies and extraneous details.
- Revise for conciseness, flow, and logical procedural order; identify sequencing issues and communicate to team.
- Apply established SOP rhetorical style throughout; use appropriate tone and voice.
- Categorize information by subtopic or process using proper organizational devices (headings, stems, etc.).
- Consistently apply the client’s preferred terminology (based on a curated list provided).
- Edit for proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling in accordance with internal style guide and The Chicago Manual of Style.
- A bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or similar; other majors are acceptable provided the candidate meets the other requirements.
- A minimum of 5 years of technical writing experience is preferred.
- Expertise in writing, editing, and English grammar; experience in policy writing is preferred.
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style rules and conventions.
- At least two years of work experience in the multifamily/property management industry; candidate must demonstrate an understanding of apartment complex operations, maintenance, and leasing practices as well as a working knowledge of industry terminology. Candidates with experience in commercial real estate management or a similar field will also be considered.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong critical thinking, reading comprehension, and writing skills
- Detail oriented and thorough; a good eye for inconsistencies and errors, whether factual or grammatical
- Analytical and interpretive ability – Must be able to use contextual evidence and knowledge of the subject matter to analyze confusing, disorganized information and revise while staying true to the client’s intent
- Inquiry-driven – Must know when to seek answers over making assumptions, and must know how to ask the right questions.
Writing and editing samples will be requested. Training on the policy/procedure software platform and on specific aspects of the position will be provided.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $35.00 /hour
- technical editing: 2 years (Preferred)
- multifamily/property management: 2 years (Preferred)