Computer Science Training Program | Summer 2019 | Rockville, MD
Axle Informatics is a bioinformatics and information technology company that offers innovative computer services, informatics, and enterprise solutions to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in software engineering, bioinformatics, and program management, we focus on developing and applying technology tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate the discovery in translational research. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
We are looking for Computer Science or Computer Engineer trainees to support portions of Projects that Axle Informatics teams are working on currently at NIH. These positions will focus on translation and implementation of the code in a novel, scalable, cloud-based, image analysis platform. Additionally, for qualified candidates projects involving building novel, scalable, interactive graphics for viewing and analyzing “big” data will be available. The position will be based in Rockville, MD.
What you’ll be doing:
- Attaining hands-on experience with developing both front and back-end bioinformatics and advanced image analysis software.
- Designing new features in WebGL and scripting languages
- Designing new features and performance enhancements for existing systems.
- Participate in testing and fixing bugs in existing written codes
- Developing a guide detailing program limitations to aid in the future analysis of investigator datasets.
- Help develop effective pipelines to manage and visualize scientific datasets
- Gaining on-site work experience at various locations within the NIH.
Who should apply:
- Anyone who has an interest and understanding in computer science, image analysis, and/or bioinformatics disciplines
- Anyone Interested in web development and scalable programming for the cloud
- Anyone with experience in or who is Interested in interactive 2D/3D graphics.
- Students with familiarity with WebGL, OpenGL, and/or the MEAN stack.
- Students who enjoy creating novel solutions to complex problems.
- Those who are hungry to learn. We will give you data, tools, and resources and let you soar!
- Those who want to apply what they’re learning in school to concrete real-world problems.
- Those who aim to simplify their work processes by finding patterns and making work more efficient
- Those who care about the quality of their work and are adamant in persisting until a job is complete
- Those who have a strong work ethic and coolness under pressure in a “live” environment
Skills we’d love for you to have (but not required):
- Optimization of others code to improve efficiency/speed of execution.
- Experience analyzing medical or biological images
- Experience with python image analysis packages
- Basic knowledge of PHP, MySQL and SQL, Linux, Apache, and other object-oriented designs.
- Understanding of AngularJS, Node.js, and Bootstrap within a dynamic content environment
- Ability to learn quickly and multitask in a fast-paced environment. Extreme attention to detail.
- Junior or senior BA/BS or working towards an MS, Postbaccalaureate or Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science, computer engineering, electricals engineering, or a related
- Able to work independently at times and be able to give 40 hours/week.
- Ability to work under independently, just as well as general supervision.
- The ability to work in a team environment with changing priorities.
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Job Type: Internship
- Rockville, MD (Preferred)