Leidos has an opening for a South Pole Station Manager. The position will deploy to the South Pole Station, Antarctica, for 13 months and serve as the senior site lead during the 9 months of the austral winter.
The position will be performed in Denver CO for 6-7 months for pre-deployment training & planning before deploying for the 13-month on-site assignment at South Pole Station.
This is a Seasonal Contract position of up to 19 months (13 months deployed) from approximately April 2019 - November 2020. The standard work schedule for this position is 40 hours per week in Denver, 54 hours per week when deployed to Antarctica. (Monday through Saturday, 9 hours per day.)
The South Pole Station Manager will assist the South Pole Area Management in the day-to-day management of Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station during austral summer (4 months), before becoming the senior leader on site for the full austral winter season (9 months).
- Leading day-to-day site operations during the austral winter. This includes conflict resolution; de-conflicting resources; ensuring operational schedules are met and tasking is completed.
- Responsible for coordinating and tracking the final selection process for winter personnel and organizing & coordinating pre-deployment team building & emergency response trainings for winter-over staff.
- Provides station leadership & management, and serves as the senior on-site point of contact for all activities at South Pole Station during the austral winter season.
- Serves as the main liaison between the on-site staff and the various functional leads at Denver ASC headquarters.
- Ensures that winter personnel provide responsive and appropriate levels of support to all program participants at South Pole Station during the austral winter.
- Plans & leads station emergency response program, on-site training and emergency response teams.
- Other duties as assigned. Other duties may include: Environmental Safety and Health, Finance or other responsibilities. Interacts, as appropriate, with National Science Foundation representatives, science grantees, military, aircraft contractors and other support entities.
Deployment to Antarctica is required for this position.
Typical Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 10 years of professional experience; or 8 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree.
Leadership experience must include the demonstrated ability to work with and independently manage a diverse, skilled work force. Demonstrated ability to successfully manage conflict resolution and problem solve operational & logistics issues is required. Leadership experience at remote locations is highly desirable.
The individual in this position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an equal opportunity employer/disability/vet.