Every power project is a community project—whether it’s a gas plant conversion, a transmission line corridor, or a wind development. Our goal is to improve industrial, business, and local communities through our project work. We see beyond the project at hand to where our work fits in the big picture. Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities.
Stantec's Power group is currently seeking a Manager of Engineering
in our Portland, Oregon
The Manager of Engineering (MoE) is a Business Center (BC) position that is expected to provide leadership for all Power engineering staff within Stantec to ensure high quality and cost competitive engineering services. The MoE should understand the breadth of services offered by the BC, the discipline makeup, skill level, and experience of the engineering staff, and actively participate in planning and executing the BC workload. The candidate should have a detailed and thorough understanding of substation design and T&D operations, preferably with a wide range of experience including electric utilities, industrial facilities, and renewables applications.
The MoE may also be identified as the BC Discipline Leader (BCDL) and as such be responsible to work with other BCDLs to develop and maintain engineering and technical standards and procedures. He/she will ensure the engineering staff follows these documents when performing their work.
The MoE shall operate with significant independence from Sector Leaders (SL) / Subsector Leaders (SSL) / Managing Leaders to ensure compliance with established requirements and operating procedures is prioritized.
The MoE shall require minimal supervision and will meet regularly with the Power DL and the BCML.
Performs all duties in accordance with Power technical and quality standards, practices and procedures.
- Works with other BCDLs and key technical personnel (e.g., Teams of Excellence) to develop engineering and technical standards, practices and procedures that are consistent with Power Group goals.
- Maintains a detailed understanding of his/her BC’s existing and potential future workload and actively works with BC and BL management to ensure personnel levels support the work and business goals.
- Regularly reviews existing projects to ensure a high level of quality in Stantec’s Work Product, technical competence level, and proper assignment of trained/experienced resources.
- Regularly meets with and communicates all matters affecting Power operations or policies to the Power department managers and to the Discipline Leader.
- Ensures all work activities are performed in accordance with the policies, work practices, standards and procedures as required.
- Maintains the highest standard of business and professional ethics in all aspects of job performance.
- Performs all job functions in a manner that ensures personal safety and the safety of clients and coworkers.
- Performs all job functions with the goal of meeting or exceeding the expectations of clients and coworkers.
- Ensures all job functions are completed accurately and within expected timeframes.
- Must be willing to work closely with Technical Leads to ensure project work and deliverables meet quality standards, while balancing cost and schedule requirements inherent to running an engineering organization.
- Attracts new business and expands current business by working in conjunction with Business Development.
- Maintains day to day operations of the engineering department.
- Exercises integrity and exhibits respect when dealing with current or prospective clients, coworkers and vendors.
- Interacts extensively with clients to promote the Stantec name and to understand client needs and critical project attributes.
- Encourages innovation by actively listening and considering all ideas, comments or recommendations.
- Directs the activities of the Engineering department managers and/or Technical Leads.
- Manages and allocates engineering resources to projects.
- Facilitates regular meetings with department managers and engineering staff to inform them of new or revised policies, procedures, templates, etc, and to maintain an understanding of all issues, problems, and needs of active project work.
- Guides Power engineering team members in their career path.
- Determines the required skills consistent with Power goals and oversees the recruitment and training of Power engineering staff.
- Assists with hiring, employee evaluations, and performance management for engineering personnel within his/her Power BC. Takes action with adverse performance issues.
- Working with Human Resources regarding disciplinary action or termination for engineering personnel within Power.
- Reviews and provides constructive feedback to engineering staff’s Career Development and Performance Reviews (CDPR).
- Assists in the development of business processes with other senior managers.
- Develops initiatives for continuous improvement.
- Provides input to Power’s capital and operating budgets.
- Provides support for proposals as required.
- Reviews and approves engineering estimates prepared by engineering staff for proposals as required.
- Provides independent reviews on proposal or project documents as necessary.
- Participates in short and long range planning.
- Performs billable work to meet target utilization.
- As necessary to meet utilization level, the MoE may be responsible to be project engineer, prepare special studies, or act as an executive sponsor on projects.
- Understands project management tools including work breakdown structures, cost reporting systems, contracts, schedules, etc.
- Makes presentations to BC(s), senior management or clients.
- Makes presentations to professional organizations or conferences, publishes articles or technical papers, and works with professional organizations to promote the Stantec brand.
- May sit on Power’s Teams of Excellence with other technical experts to raise Power’s position in key sectors, develop engineering standards, and support critical proposals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Minimum Job Requirements
- Education: BSEE, or similar Electrical Engineering degree. MSEE is preferred.
- Registration: Registered Professional Engineer, preferably in OR, WA, and CA
- Experience: At least fifteen to twenty (15-20+) years of experience in the field of substation design, transmission and distribution (T&D), or protection and controls for T&D. Candidate must possess a thorough understanding of power systems design and distribution. Progressive responsibility managing large design projects and engineering design teams is critical. Experience in a consulting role is desired.
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership abilities and possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong technical background and expert knowledge in respective discipline.
- Displays excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with staff, clients and third party organizations.
- Organizes data and processes effectively.
- Ability to effectively build, lead and motivate a team.
- Experience in related industry projects, design codes, and standards.
- Ability to successfully resolve conflicts.
- Exemplify a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Knowledge of systems (Microsoft Office)
The Manager of Engineering reports directly either to the BCML or to the Power Discipline Leader.