Upper School Faculty/Art
Sacred Heart Greenwich provides an empowering learning environment for girls and young women from kindergarten through twelfth grade to prepare them to become confident, intelligent and compassionate global leaders. The school offers a coed program for young children at the Barat Center for Early Childhood Education. Our 700 students carry on the Sacred Heart tradition of academic excellence and development of the mind, body and spirit on our beautiful 110-acre campus in Greenwich, Connecticut. We are currently seeking an Upper School Art Teacher- Part-Time for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Upper School Art Teacher- Part-Time
Head of Upper School
A part time art teacher in the Upper School is responsible for providing a stimulating and developmentally appropriate educational environment in accordance with the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education and the philosophy that implements it. The teacher will plan and implement a curriculum to prepare each student in Foundations of Art and Design I to reach her maximum potential in visual art.
- To prepare and implement lessons for Foundations of Art and Design I.
- To effectively integrate professional standards of visual art education into every day classroom instruction and curriculum.
- To act as a sponsor to student art initiatives, publications and clubs.
- To collaborate with the Chair of the Arts Department and other visual and media arts faculty
- To provide oversight of student submissions to local, regional and national competitions such as Scholastic, Stamford Art Association and our Celebration of the Arts exhibition and show.
- To participate in additional school duties including leading an advisory group, lunch and sub duty.
- To share responsibilities with the other art teacher for maintaining the art room and supplies staying within the parameter of the Visual Arts budget.
- To maintain current attendance, student records, and grading.
- To attend staff meetings, parent meetings, and any special meeting(s) requested by the administration, as well as supporting Arts events and performances.
- To attend conferences and other professional development opportunities to ensure that teaching practices remain current.
- To communicate and cooperate with parents on a regular and consistent basis.
- To understand and exhibit a professional manner.
- To be responsible for the care and maintenance of an orderly environment and clean classroom materials.
- To be responsible for the safety and physical well-being of the students at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to teach a wide range of mediums including drawing, painting, ceramics, and computer graphics.
- Fluency in Adobe applications such as Photoshop and InDesign.
- To possess a good working knowledge of a variety of artistic styles and visual art teaching methodologies.
- Commitment to a professional studio practice and exhibition of art works.
- To be able to communicate effectively with educational team and with parents.
- To have a positive and upbeat but disciplined approach to teaching and learning art in order to prepare students for college programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art
- Master of Art in Teaching
- Working Artist
As members of the international network of Sacred Heart schools, we are committed to attracting and retaining faculty with a passion for teaching who demonstrate an active faith, practice a deep respect for intellectual values, promote social awareness, build community, and value personal growth and responsibility. We seek faculty who are committed to all-girl education and who will draw upon current research to maximize student learning. Sacred Heart Greenwich is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes candidates who will enhance the diversity of our community.