REGIONAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATE
WEST REGION ADMINISTRATION
(20 hours per week, non-exempt)
Position # 170130203
DATE POSTED: February 12, 2020
LOCATION: 20 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
STARTING WAGE: $17.85 per hour + partial benefits (for benefits information, please see: http://ppld.org/jobs/benefits)
POSITION HOURS: 20 hours per week with variable locations, days and times within service times:
Thursday – Saturday 7:30 a.m. – Midnight
Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Note: Regular schedule may be subject to minor changes due to required meetings, training events, etc. Also, management may require modifications to a position’s schedule, days, times and locations at any time as the needs of the Library District change.
1. Complete a PPLD online application located at ppld.org/Jobs at the Application Tab
2. Attachments should be submitted online in the following file types: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf, .htm
3. Requires resume and cover letter. Applications will not be considered without a resume and cover letter.
4. If you require an accommodation to complete your job application, please contact the Human Resources Office at (719) 531 - 6333, ext. 6380.
CLOSING DATE: Preference for application materials received by February 26, 2020 at 9:59 p.m. MST
Position Summary: Operates in a diverse environment to help fulfill the Library’s mission by providing direct customer-focused public service and implementing pre-designed programs at an assigned library within a region.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides excellent customer service and maintains a courteous, positive image of the Library; maintains confidentiality in all customer and staff interactions.
- Provides direct public services to customers as they visit the library, call on the telephone, or communicate in a virtual environment. Works combined circulation/service desks by performing all circulation functions.
- Reports to the Director of the Region for work assignments to locations within the West,
- Southeast or North Regions respectively. Works with Library Managers at these locations to provide various customer public service support functions.
- Performs reference, purchase or Interlibrary Loan requests, and readers’ advisory services.
- Proficient in the use of library meeting room software for reservations and event creation.
- Assist customers with advanced computer needs, job applications and resume formatting.
- Teaches computer basics or other technology access topics to customers in small groups or one-on-one settings.
- Implements pre-designed programs.
- Promotes library services through tours, demonstrations, talks, and displays.
- Performs other support activities such as troubleshooting basic computer, office, and makerspace equipment, badge making, compiling data, and monitoring/ordering office supplies, and petty cash accountability.
- May act as person-in-charge as assigned; assumes responsibility for safe and effective operation of the library; ensures that security and safety reports are completed accurately and are submitted as required.
- May assist patron in Makerspaces, if assigned to them, with software, machinery/hardware (including 3D printers, CNC machine, laser cutter, sewing machine, a kiln, etc), and tools.
- If assigned to Mobile Library Services (West Region only): Safely drive, navigate and park Mobile Library; performs all functions in a manner safe to oneself, co-workers, and library patrons; adheres to Department of Transportation regulations and administrative requirements, including daily vehicle inspections and the immediate reporting and initiating of appropriate procedures with regards to maintenance, road conditions, security and safety concerns.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- May implement pre-designed programs and for adults, teens or children.
- Keeps informed about Library and department information.
- Attends regular department meetings and scheduled all-staff meetings.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Knowledge of the Pikes Peak Library District’s policies and procedures and ability to follow them.
- Ability to act as an ambassador of Pikes Peak Library District by promoting its mission and vision to the public.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current library services and trends.
- Ability to effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, demonstrating an excellent customer service attitude.
- Knowledge of basic computer technology and applications and ability to effectively train others.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to actively support change in order to meet strategic goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills; maintains effective relationships with customers, coworkers, and with staff at all levels.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively use applications software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook, along with standard office equipment and specialized library software and equipment contained in makerspaces.
- Demonstrates ability to exhibit sound judgment and demeanor in public interactions; thinks and acts appropriately under pressure.
- Demonstrates ability to organize daily work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, detail-rich environment.
Education and Experience:
1. Requires a High School Diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in any field is preferred.
2. Requires a minimum of one year of library experience or other public service experience
(Library experience preferred).
3. Requires basic experience with computer equipment and software applications.
4. Bilingual ability is a plus in serving a diverse community.
If Assigned to Mobile Library Services (West Region):
Requires a valid Colorado driver's license at the time of application; completion of a driver’s training course; a clean driving record; completion of a driver’s application; passing a road test administered in-house; physical examination and certification in accordance with DOT regulations. Recertification will be required on an on-going basis. Employees are required to submit to a drug test in the event of an accident (any accident not just motor vehicle).
If assigned to Mobile Library Services, must pass the background check conducted by
Schriever AFB, in order to be issued a DBIDs (Defense Biometric Identification Data System) card for access to the base.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work is primarily conducted in an office setting that provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Position requires the ability to sit and use a computer or standard office equipment for extended periods. Position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to occasionally reach, bend, climb, twist and squat. Position requires the ability to lift up to 35 pounds. Ability to push a loaded book truck required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $17.85 /hour