NBCUniversal News Legal Group
The NBCUniversal News Legal Group supports the news operations of NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBCUniversal Owned Stations, Telemundo and E! News. The Group’s legal work encompasses both content and transactional work. Legal support for news content includes newsgathering, pre-broadcast and pre-publication review, intellectual property, libel, access, reporter’s privilege and regulatory issues. The transactional work includes licenses, contracts, joint ventures, acquisitions and legal and business affairs for news programming. The Group is located primarily in New York City, with some News lawyers in Miami, London and Singapore. The News lawyers work closely with journalists and news management to provide practical and strategic advice and to support the global dissemination of news.
The General Counsel, News Group, will have responsibility for overall legal support of NBCUniversal’s news organizations: NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBCUniversal Owned Stations, Telemundo, and E! News. This position will supervise a group of experienced lawyers. The position will report to Kimberley Harris, General Counsel of NBCUniversal, with a close partnership and dual reporting relationship to Cesar Conde, Chairman of the NBCUniversal News Group.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Supervise the News Legal Group which provides legal advice and support for all NBCUniversal’s news organizations globally
Oversee and provide media law advice on news content, including newsgathering, intellectual property, libel, reporter’s privilege, access and regulatory issues and pre-broadcast and pre-publication review
Oversee response to and resolution of claims, including allegations of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement and demands for newsgathering materials
Oversee legal and business affairs for news productions and programming, including negotiating and drafting agreements with third party production companies for CNBC Primetime programming, and for NBC News Studio and MSNBC longform programming
Supervise transactional work, including drafting and reviewing licenses, contracts and joint venture agreements with a wide variety of third parties, including technology companies. Work with Comcast Legal on occasional equity investments and acquisitions.
Serve as primary point of contact with News senior management to provide practical advice and strategic risk management
Coordinate with NBCUniversal Corporate Legal subject matter experts to provide legal support in specialized areas such as labor and employment, litigation, privacy, compliance and real estate
- Minimum of 15 years of legal experience, ideally within news media, including in-house counsel experience and/or significant experience at a top tier law firm advising media clients on a variety of legal issues, transactions and contracts
- A law degree from an ABA-accredited law school is required and must be a member in good standing of the State Bar of New York or member in good standing of another State Bar and registered as in-house counsel.
- Decisive practitioner; skilled at making decisions, exercising business judgment, advising on risk, and explaining complex legal issues in a straightforward manner
- Capable of managing multiple, wide-ranging matters, tight deadlines and new legal and business areas; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
- Strong leader and persuasive communicator with a vision; proven ability to self-motivate, work independently as well as collaboratively and motivate and inspire a team; excellent writing and verbal presentation skills
- Must demonstrate highest level of integrity, excellent legal judgment and business acumen, strong general and situational leadership skills with the ability to play a significant executive role within the business at large
- Self-confident personal style; able to present ideas to important constituencies, earning the confidence and trust of others; perceived as a thought leader; has the ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to changing business conditions
- Demonstrated superb diplomacy skills, ability to use appropriate levers to persuade others to take action and to strive to find solutions that meet the mutual needs of all parties and the company as a whole
- Superior influencing skills and will be able to gain the respect of, and build a rapport with, multiple constituencies, internally and externally
- Successful track record of leading and managing a diverse group of accomplished attorneys and other legal professionals situated around the globe
- Significant executive experience, stature, and overall credibility as a senior lawyer and trusted business advisor; able to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly
- Must have extremely strong legal knowledge and skills as well as superior critical thinking, analytical, drafting, problem-solving and negotiating skills
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.