Responsible for carrying out the activities of the Office of Sustainability, which will include developing the City's near-term sustainability agenda, tracking progress, engaging external partners, and working with City departments to execute sustainability initiatives. Sustainability efforts in Detroit will focus on strengthening the economic, social and environmental well-being of Detroit's residents, neighborhoods, and businesses. As one of two project managers, coordinate the day to day activities of the Sustainability Office that reflects the needs of Detroiters, delivers projects that make a visible difference in neighborhoods, and better positions the City for a more sustainable future.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Facilitate strategic planning processes with groups internal to the City as well as external stakeholder groups
Reach out to a variety of stakeholder groups and individuals to better understand their concerns and ideas
Develop innovative methods of engaging with the public around Sustainability
Collect, organize, and analyze public input and data from a variety of sources
Development of project management frameworks to ensure the accountability of all entities involved and actual project completion
Development of business intelligence dashboards to track ongoing progress towards goal completion
Manage ongoing communication initiatives for both broad and specific initiatives
Develop a broader engagement strategy for the Office of Sustainability
Create materials to communicate with employees at the City of Detroit regarding sustainability initiatives
Create supporting materials for partners and city agencies as they carry out the actions steps of the Sustainability Office.
Manage the implementation of projects of all sizes to accomplish the goals of the Office of Sustainability through partnership with City and non-City stakeholders
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Policy, Urban Planning, Environmental Studies or a related field of study. Master's degree preferred.
At least three years of project management experience in urban sustainability, city administration, management consulting, urban planning, engineering, natural resources or a related field.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be substituted to meet the education and experience requirements of this position.
- Sustainability principles and practices.
- Contemporary community outreach concepts and best practices.
- Communications, including traditional and new media.
- Social and racial justice
- Laws, policies, and procedures related to sustainability outcomes.
- Project management.
- Analyzing information and distilling arguments to make effective decisions.
- Implementing operational and service delivery changes.
- Collect, transform, and analyze data and information
- Development of communication campaigns and materials, digital and physical
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Implement sustainability strategies within Detroit context.
- Perform outreach to diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Manage effectively with other city departments as a team leader.
- Bring focus and perspective to group and team projects.
- Respond to workplace dynamics in a timely, visionary and pro-active manner.
- Plan and manage budgets.
- Proficiently use standard office and pertinent specialized software.
- Interpret and analyze statistical data.
- Manage multiple priorities.
- Acquire additional training and knowledge of other municipal examples of sustainable principles and best practices.
Candidates considered for placement in this classification may be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation based on the requirements of the position.
Some positions may require special licenses and/or certifications.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the class, which involve reading standard English text, conducting team meetings, and frequent oral and written communication with others. Work is sedentary to light. Work is performed in a typical office environment with exposure to computer monitors. Some assignments require site visits and occasional travel.
Subjects & Weights:
Evaluation of Training, Experience and Personal Qualification:
1 – 15 points