Robotics Product Manager
Specify requirements (“voice of the customer”) for new and revised base robots, new and revised modules (i.e., hardware accessories installed on top of robot bases), and software (both on-robot and in-cloud) for use of the robots/accessories in particular applications and workflows. Fetch’s customers’ environments are almost exclusively semi-structured industrial facilities such as warehouses, distribution centers, logistics centers, manufacturing facilities, etc. Participate in product development at time frames ranging from a single software release (several weeks to a small number of months) to major new hardware and software (many months to a year or more).
Collaborate with customers and sales, plus use general market/competitive knowledge, to establish requirements. These requirements should be based on a deep understanding of tangible customer problems and result in compelling solutions. Communicate and negotiate those requirements with engineering, culminating in clear and comprehensive documented requirements. Work with engineering and optionally program management on tracking execution. Be responsible for COGS, margin and pricing analysis. Interface with engineering and manufacturing during design, prototype and early production phases. Work with marketing and sales to articulate the value proposition and communicate that value proposition to customers through sales enablement material and direct engagement with customers.
Primary stakeholders are:
- Product -- Collaborate with other product managers on systems-level (i.e., hardware plus software) solutions.
- Program -- For new product introduction teams that have a program manager, work with that person through the team’s planning and execution phases.
- Engineering -- Owns execution of development and test. Sub-groups are hardware (electrical and mechanical), robotics software, services/UI software, design and QA.
- Manufacturing -- Owns procurement, forecasting, price negotiation, assembly (both in-house and outsourced), etc.
- Documentation -- Owns creating user documentation.
- Marketing -- Owns top-level positioning of Fetch’s brand. Product and Marketing collaborate to articulate capabilities and value proposition to Sales and customers.
- Sales -- Own winning in the market by using our products and solutions to solve customers’ problems.
This position reports to the VP of Product Management.
- 7+ years product management experience
- Deep understanding of systems composed of hardware and software
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to be involved in multiple projects in parallel
- Ability to advocate for your own projects while also being supportive in situations where others’ projects take priorities
- Ability to describe technical issues at varying levels of detail depending on the audience
- Ability to travel periodically to customer sites and industry events
- Fluency in tools such as JIRA, Confluence, Google G-Suite, etc.
- Experience with robotics and industrial automation is a nice-to-have