This position is located in the Office of Security Printing, Currency Inspection Division. The incumbent performs such bookbinding processes and machine operations required in production processing and finishing of a variety of security printed items produced by the Bureau for various government agencies. The incumbent is assigned to any Bureau activity requiring a Journeyman Bookbinder.
The following are the duties of this position at the WE-1 . If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Perform bookbinding operations in the production processing and finishing of high quality security printed items done by hand involving use of hand tools and/or non-automatic/machine finished processes that involve cutting, perforating, trimming, etc., for the manufacture of printed matter.
- Perform set-up operational adjustments and minor maintenance tasks on machines used to trim, cut, examine, jog, slit, and otherwise manufacture security printed matter in a finished format. Machine operation may accomplish and/or include more than one finishing process.
- Monitor machine operation and inspect product during processing to remove blank, partly printed and defective sheets to maintain high quality and to prevent machine jam-ups of work in process.
- Ensure integrity of work product format in any prescribed form sequence, shape of stock, etc., through any segmental processes in finishing final product. As final craft person in all major operations is responsible for security/accountability of finished product.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
U.S. citizens or U.S. Nationals ; no prior Federal experience is required.
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 18-BEP-108 . Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
Work is performed in a standing position and considerable bending, stooping, crouching, climbing and stretching is required to operate the machines and to make necessary adjustments. There is also a moderate to heavy lifting (10 to 40 lbs.) of paper stock. Pushing and pulling requirements are 800 pounds assisted by use of a manual floor jack for moving loads up to and around the machines. Good eyesight is required as well as eye-hand coordination. Manual dexterity is required for the operation and adjustment of machines and equipment and for the hand operations associated with binding and finishing activities. Must be extremely alert and attentive to work and machine operations to ensure accuracy; detect machine malfunctions and defective products, to avoid spoilage, and to ensure that all safety requirements are adhered to.
You must show in your experience in online application that you possess the knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the duties of the position. You must meet the screen-out element Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision , normally addressed at the beginning of the online questions. In addition, you must also obtain an average score of two (2) on all other elements for this position as addressed through the online question in order to be considered minimally qualified.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service .
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS:
A background investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for disqualification in the hiring process. The background investigation process conducted by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is very thorough. Therefore it is imperative that applicants exercise candor and honesty when answering background questionnaires, especially as it relates to arrest, employment, education, finances, illegal drug use, and/or other criminal history. Falsification discovered in security documents or during the background investigation process may result in an immediate negative suitability determination or immediate revocation of your interim clearance (if applicable).
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT :
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- The facility shuts down annually between Christmas and New Year's Day. Employees must take leave for work days during the shutdown period.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Wear required safety clothing and/or equipment required by the position. This may include safety shoes, hard hats, hearing protection, gloves, masks, etc.
- Shift Work: This facility operates on a 24 hour per day, three-shift basis. Assignment to a specific shift cannot be guaranteed. The successful applicant must be available to work on all three shifts on a rotational basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision, Operation of Bookbinding Equipment (specify equipment machinery, etc.),Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic), Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (other than blueprints) and Knowledge of Materials . Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Gold, Silver, and Bronze depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP )) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION:
If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.