TITLE: Shelter Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Shelter Operations
SALARY RANGE: Competitive and commensurate on experience. This position is salaried and exempt.
SUMMARY: Midcoast Humane is seeking a Shelter Manager. This position is responsible for the day-to-day operations and decisions in all areas of shelter management, including but not limited to: animal care, customer service, safety, maintenance / upkeep of facilities, and coordinating and supervising Animal Care Technicians, customer service personnel and volunteers.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and motivational skills as well as the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks at once
- A genuine willingness to help others and succeed as a team
- Excellent animal handling skills, using fear free methods
- Experience hiring, developing, and managing staff; and a willingness to accommodate varied work and schedules.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a desire to model and facilitate productive communication in the workplace
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervisory / staffing responsibilities
- Directly supervises 8-12 shelter employees within department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure all shelter staff are properly trained on best standards of animal and customer care and operations including animal cleaning and feeding, facility maintenance and cleaning, reception, adoptions, client follow up, and counseling.
- Proactively seek out continuing education and development opportunities for shelter staff.
- Guides, supervises, schedules, and trains customer care counselors and animal care staff and front desk staff.
- Animal Care
- Plan, implement, facilitate, monitor, and evaluate all animal issues at the shelter including, but not limited to; feeding, grooming, parasite control, health related issues and sanitation, adoptions, rescues, transfers, foster care, and euthanasia.
- Manage the process of ensuring the comfort and cleanliness of resident animals by cleaning, disinfecting, and maintaining animal kennels, condos, and cages.
- Manage the process of adoptions including, but not limited to application screening, finding the right match, shelter-to-home transition counseling and follow up.
- Coordinate intake, offsite and transfer schedule including paperwork entry, transport driver schedules, clinic and behavior teams coordination.
- Customer experience
- Provide an impeccable educational and supportive experience for all guests
- Follow up for customer service complaints
- Resolution of adopter issues
- Field calls / inquiries from the general public
- Fields general public questions or concerns regarding animals and directs to the customer care counselors and animal care staff.
- Manages and assists volunteers in carrying out their duties and aids in training volunteers.
- Maintain shelter stock, organize inventory, and order supplies as needed.
- Potentially coordinate or facilitate other programs such as: shelter database management, Pet Food Pantry, volunteer training, off site (satellite) adoption locations or any others.
- Attend staff and manager meetings and training classes as scheduled.
- Work with the executive team to proactively resolve daily operational issues.
- Be available for after-hours emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from four-year college or university, or three to five years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification for humane euthanasia or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Basic veterinary medical knowledge and the ability to effectively communicate medical needs with Clinic staff.
- Fear Free Shelters Certification or ability to obtain upon hire.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in an animal shelter. Potential for exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations, high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, animal waste, hazardous chemicals or chemical materials requiring OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets, anesthetics, sharp objects and potential hostile persons and/or dangerous and fractious animals.
SCHEDULE: Full-time/salaried position. Flexible schedule based on shelter needs, including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Ability to stay standing or active during entire shift.
- Ability to lift and carry objects and animals of moderate weight.
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, push and other strenuous activities.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly