Teen Program Educator
The Teen Program Educator reports directly to the Manager of Public Programs. The Nasher Teen Council is a more dedicated group of students who meet every two weeks and connect deeply with the museum through time with staff, interactions with local artists, time in the galleries, and time spent making art. The Nasher Teens is now a broader offering of monthly workshops that allow for a larger number of teen students to participate in museum programs. The Teen Program Educator will be responsible for all aspects of the Nasher Teen Council. The Teen Program Educator will also work closely with the Educator for K-12 and Family Programs on the planning and execution of the Nasher Teen workshops.
Primary duties will include, but are not limited to:
Administrative duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Design an annual project-based program for the Nasher Teen Council
- Promote the Nasher Teen Council program to all Durham Public Schools high schools and other areas high schools as appropriate
- Manage the application process for Nasher Teen Council members
- Schedule, attend, and record Nasher Teen Council meetings
- Communicate effectively and often with Nasher Teen Council members and parents, as well as partner schools and administrators
- Coordinate evaluation of Nasher Teen Council to gather and analyze data for museum planning, as well as reporting to individual donors and grant organizations
- Coordinate programs with localartists, Nasher staff, and other guest participants
- Work with the Educator for K-12 and Family Programs on general Nasher Teen programs
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Perform all administrative duties for Nasher Teen Council
- Assist in creating and managing the budget for Nasher Teen Council
- Participate in donor proposals and conversations for program-related funding
- Work with PR department to promote program through the website, e-newsletter, social media, and printed materials.
Candidate with the following strongly preferred:
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to act professionally with diverse audiencesand partners
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, excellent organizational skills
- Flexibility and reliability
- Ability to meet deadlines while multitasking, excellent ability to prioritize
- A valid NC driver’s license
- MA or MAT degree in Museum Education
- 2-4 years experience in a related field, museum experience and working with teens
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical, research andcommunications principles normally acquired through two years ofpostsecondary education.
Work generally requires three years of clerical or research experienceto acquire skills in administrative or project researchresponsibilities as well as accepted office organization,communications and research practices.A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to thespecific position may be substituted for the education and two yearsof the experience requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE