How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In addition to the cover letter, applicants are required to provide:
Applicants selected for interviews will be asked to prepare a short press release on a topic provided by the Robotics Institute.
- One writing sample, no longer than two pages, attached as the final page(s) of your resume.
- One sample of a communication using a different medium (ex. Video, photography, etc.), attached as a link at the end of your writing sample.
The University of Michigan Robotics Institute is at the forefront of robotics research and education. Their world-class faculty and students are working to create robots that walk, crawl, fly, swim, and help humans.
The Robotics Communications Specialist will be embedded in the institute to plan, develop, coordinate, and lead communication and marketing strategies and projects. They will be charged with finding, telling and maximizing the stories of ground-breaking research being conducted, and spread the messages of the transformative work happening in the institute to help recruit students, faculty and resources. They will be responsible for coordinating, developing and maintaining a variety of communications and marketing platforms and products, including multimedia stories, websites, social media, presentations, events, and print products. They will work in collaboration with staff, faculty, and other marketing and communications professionals, supporting the institute's strategic priorities and highlighting its strengths as a leader in Robotics. This position will support the day-to-day communications and marketing activities to ensure plans are complete and goals are met.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Develop marketing and communication resources and materials to support outreach, including press releases, video, photography, and talking points as necessary.
- Identify and promote developments and advances in the Robotics Institute to the University community, the media, industry, government, alumni, peer institutions, and the general public by preparing press releases, feature articles, annual reports, high-quality videos, and other resources and materials as appropriate.
- Participate in discussions with the Robotics Director, Managing Director, Unit Administrator, and others to develop and implement a strategic communications plan closely tied to the Institute strategic plan.
- Build relationships with key partners/communicators (including media, industry, government, etc.) to plan and coordinate outreach related to the work of the Robotics Institute.
- Contribute to an events strategy that promotes the culture and grows the reputation and influence of the Robotics Institute. Provide expertise that contributes to high quality tours, demonstrations, exhibitions, symposia, and other events more focused on internal audiences (dissertation defenses, student events, etc.).
- Collaborate with communicators across campus in central administration and the various units whose faculty are engaged in the work of the Robotics Institute.
- Develop and manage Institute’s social media strategy aimed at engaging key audiences on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee continuing evolution and maintenance of the Robotics Institute’s website.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, engineering, or related field.
- Outstanding, high-level communication skills in a variety of media including the ability to understand scientific concepts and to communicate those concepts clearly to broad audiences.
- Demonstrated skill and experience with videography.
- Possess networking skills to build and maintain a contact network in the various media outlets, among various audiences, and within industry and the government.
- Experience with social media best practices within a strategic communications plan.
- Experience developing websites and other marketing materials.
- Ability to act effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Customer-service oriented.
- Demonstrated extensive skills in videography.
- Experience promoting strategic communications across a variety of social media platforms.
- Experience writing to a technical/scientific audience.
- Familiarity with an academic environment.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.