Job Title Community Coordinator
The Community Coordinator is a part-time, 10-month, 25 hour per week, live-on staff member in the Office of Residence Life. The Community Coordinator is responsible for the management and community development of one residence hall housing eight (8) of the nine Greek letter organizations on campus: sororities: Chi Omega, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta and Kappa Kappa Gamma; fraternities: Beta Theta Pi, Delta Tau Delta and Sigma Phi Epsilon. The desired start date for the Position is August 1, 2018. The end date for the Position is May 31, 2019. NOTE: this is a one academic year appointment with the possibility for reappointment
We seek an emerging professional who:
Cares deeply about forming strong relationships and engaging in meaningful experiences with students; Embraces our Catholic and Jesuit identity and will live the mission of our University; is open to new and challenging experiences directed towards professional growth; Is committed to creating and contributing to an inclusive campus community; Maintains high performance and ethical standards of self and others
- One-bedroom apartment (fully furnished)
- University meal plan (and for married spouse if applicable)
- Parking permit (and for married spouse if applicable)
- Pet Policy that supports having a dog or cat
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and develop a community of 280 students in 8 Greek letter organizations.
- Directly supervise, develop and evaluate resident assistants (RAs), including a Senior RA.
- Co-plan and facilitate weekly staff meetings.
- Conduct bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with individual RAs.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of RA community building initiatives.
- Advise and guide RAs on appropriate student and floor interventions.
- Mediate conflicts that occur between roommates and among residents.
- Be a resource for and available to students to address needs and concerns.
- Participate in Office of Residence Life committees, projects, and events as schedule permits.
- Work closely with the Area Coordinator for Campion & Hamlin Halls, Assistant
Director of Residence Life for Housing Operations and Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Guide RAs in responding to community needs.
- Perform occasional evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Meet monthly with the Housing Chair and other executive board members of the Greek letter organizations to address community needs.
- Assist with advising the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils.
- Assist with advising, planning and assessing Fraternity and Sorority Life events and leadership development programs.
- Bachelors degree
- Prior experience in Residence Life
- Strong oral and written communication and critical thinking skills
- Possess values aligned with the mission and identity of John Carroll University
- Enrollment in a graduate program in Student Affairs, Higher Education or College Student Personnel
- Prior experience in Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Prior supervisory experience
Normal Working Hours and Conditions
Hours Part Time
FLSA Non-Exempt (Hourly)