Salary Dependent on Qualifications + Full-Time County Benefits. There are 3 levels of Inspector distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Inspector I: $38,146 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector II: $41,018 / year or higher DOQ
Inspector III: $44,104 / year or higher D38OQ
James City County Community Development seeks an individual to perform responsible work inspecting new and remodeled residential and commercial buildings to ensure compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, Virginia Manufactured Home Safety Regulations, Virginia Industrialized Building Safety Regulations, Virginia Amusement Device Regulations, federal and state laws, and local ordinances; and, serve as a technical representative of the Building Official.
- Inspect residential or commercial construction work for three system areas (building, plumbing/mechanical/gas/electric) for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and county ordinances.
- Review assigned inspection tickets to verify proper sequence of inspections; plan and organize daily inspection route.
- Maintain effective working relationships with the plans examiners, contractors, building owners, and the public.
- Provide customer service to the public and internal customers, in person, over the telephone, or online.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma, preferably supplemented by courses in building construction technology; and, considerable experience in building construction or inspections.
- Must possess both Commercial and Residential Inspector certifications in the appropriate subject area (building, plumbing/mechanical, or electric) from the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development or ability to obtain within 18 months of hire.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of the codes, principles, techniques, and equipment used in one or more of the system areas of building, plumbing/mechanical/gas, or electrical; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer service.
- Skill in the use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to perform a broad range of inspection and plan reviews for residential and commercial structures; recognize deficiencies in the work and effective corrective measures.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 08/10/2018. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38,146.00 to $44,104.00 /year