At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 16,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Our New York City Office is looking for a Lead Mechanical Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary Buildings Engineering team. Your projects could be local in New York and the tristate area, national and international, and require that you to collaborate with our colleagues in other Arup offices in the US and around the world. Our clients include both public and private client organizations. Market sectors served include commercial, transportation including rail and aviation, education, arts and culture, data centers, health care, energy, and science and industry, among others.
- Lead overall design and management of large, complex, long-term projects.
Coordinate with other Arup disciplines and external Architects within time and budget constraints
- Attend meetings and communicate with clients to establish their needs and discuss design items with them.
- Set and meet agreed project budgets and provide input to the overall business operating plan.
- Predict and plan future staffing resources
- Lead and develop a team of mechanical engineers with a focus on sustainable design
- Manage current and future performance of the team by managing work and developing and mentoring the team for growth.
- Responsible for the appraisal, performance, development, morale and motivation of specified staff.
- Promote learning from successes and problems within the group and across the firm
- Negotiate contracts with customers/clients and/or suppliers/contractors.
- Responsible for procuring work independently, can identify potential markets.
- Responsible and accountable for client relations (internal and/or external).
- Represent Arup in the industry at high levels nationally and internationally, e.g. think tanks, standard committees and international conferences
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering (Masters an asset)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the built environment with major project leadership experience
- Extensive design experience with HVAC and plumbing systems in buildings, sustainable, low carbon and innovative strategies on projects
- Business development capabilities, experience with putting fees and proposals together, established network within the architectural industry.
- Strong knowledge of engineering fundamentals
- Deep experience in project delivery
- Professional Engineer License
- LEED Accreditation is preferred
- Experience with projects rated LEED Gold or better
- Experience in multidisciplinary project management an asset
- Understanding of BIM and Revit MEP
- Excellent communication skills essential for team-based working
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
- Networks extensively internally and externally
- Develops team members and passes on what they know
- Collaborates across boundaries
- Teaches values to team
- Communicates plans, ideas and progress
- Plans and leads change to make it stick
- Provides an aspirational role model for more junior people
- Demonstrates resilience and tenacity
Arup offers an excellent benefits package including healthcare, 10% 401k match, Paid Time Off (PTO), and bonus compensation in the form of Profit Share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.