How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter should outline the reasons for your interest in the position and your particular skills and experience that directly relate to the position.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan system. UM-Dearborn is a comprehensive university offering high-quality undergraduate, graduate, professional, and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and currently enrolls over 9,000 students. UM-Dearborn is located 10 miles west of downtown Detroit and 35 miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan Region.
The Talent Gateway is an initiative unique to UM-Dearborn that empowers students to be agents of change in their own lives by connecting them with resources, experiences, and people who can help them prepare for a successful life ahead. The Talent Gateway is a physical space that brings together Career Services, the College of Business Internship & Career Management Center (COB ICMC), the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters (CASL) Co-op Program, the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences (CECS) Co-op Program, and the Talent Gateway Program.
These offices collaborate and leverage partnerships across campus and the community to serve as resources for student engagement in experiential learning opportunities as well as providing a virtual space to reflect on the impact these experiences have on their academic, personal and professional success.
Reporting to the Talent Gateway Executive Director, the Marketing and Events Coordinator is responsible for the design and production of electronic and print marketing and promotional materials for the Talent Gateway offices as well as the coordination and management of events. The successful candidate will have a willingness to undertake the tasks and responsibilities of the position in a timely and organized manner, must be resourceful and intuitive, and have the ability to work with diverse work styles as well as manage multiple priorities and deadlines concurrently.
- Design and produce marketing and promotional materials for both print and digital distribution (i.e. flyers, invitations, campus digital screens)
- Maintain and update externally-facing websites as well as social media accounts for Talent Gateway offices
- Manage marketing of the Symplicity system to student user/parents, staff/faculty and external employer-community (i.e. orientations, University meetings, employer networking opportunities)
- Coordinate mass communication to students, employers, etc.
- Schedule and coordinate on-campus interviews and mock interviews between students and employers
- Manage several concurrent events and activities with a high degree of attention to detail and time management
- Coordinate and manage logistics of events (employer breakfasts, experiential learning celebration, etc.), including catering, room reservations, guest lists, etc. in a timely and efficient manner
- Coordinate and assist with campus workshops, classroom presentations, career fairs, etc.
- Represent and promote the Talent Gateway offices at campus-wide events
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in a marketing, communications or business-related field required
- Two to three years of progressive experience working in marketing and/or communications required
- Event management experience required
- Proven interpersonal skills, self-starter, positive attitude, ability to work effectively with limited supervision required
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Must have a strong desire to work with students and to help them in the implementation of their career strategies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software packages, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse faculty, staff and business partners
- Familiarity with recruitment programs and experience working in a higher education environment strongly desired
- Event evaluation experience
Flexibility required, including some evenings and weekends during peak periods