ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Founded in 1951, the Mankato Symphony Orchestra serves the Greater Mankato metropolitan area and surrounding communities in southern Minnesota. Kenneth Freed currently serves as Music Director. The Orchestra annually performs 5 symphonic concerts, a Fourth of July concert, a family series at the Children’s Museum, and sponsors a chamber music concert series. Recently, the orchestra has partnered with the City of Mankato to put on a rock show with the full orchestra. Mankato is a growing and vibrant community with an active arts scene. It is home to the campus Minnesota State University and is the regional center of South Central Minnesota.
JOB TITLE: Director of Operations
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Operations is the professional point person for all operations-related activities of the Mankato Symphony Orchestra. This position is responsible for providing exceptional hospitality and assistance to all patrons, donors, musicians, and guest artists.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To provide professional and efficient operational and administrative support to the Executive Director. Steps in for the Executive Director in leadership roles when required. Highly professional and a self-starter who can successfully perform job duties independently with minimal direction.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage the ticket sales system. Process ticket orders, handling exchanges and refunds, group sales, and special discounted offers. Create ticket sales and attendance reports.
- Support the successful execution of programs, performances and special events. Assist with set up and tear down, decorating, greeting patrons, and concessions.
- Manage assigned projects. Plan and organize outreach activities and special events, design materials, and coordinate events and volunteers.
- Organize travel and hotel arrangements, develop guest artist itineraries, and communicate information to all parties involved. Serve as primary contact person for all guest artists, ensuring artist hospitality meets the highest standards of care and attention.
- Recommend and implement processes that maximize office functions and operational efficiencies.
- Maintain office supplies and digital filing systems, inventory, sorting and prioritizing mail and email correspondence, answering the phone with excellent customer service, handle segregated billing duties, organize and update task management, and run errands.
- Assist in preparation of concert programs, coordinate musician and soloist biographies and photos, and act as liaison with printer to ensure timely product delivery.
- Manage the Mankato Symphony Orchestra calendar, providing meeting coordination, support, and follow-up. Update Symphony rehearsal and performance calendar, scheduling press interviews, scheduling Board and committee meetings, and follow up as directed. Prepare meeting materials, secure meeting space, prepare minutes.
- Assist in creating musician, soloist, and venue contracts. Track and keep accurate files.
Fundraising and Development Support
- Maintain donor, patron, and sponsor records, ensuring confidentiality, accuracy of data, timely gift acknowledgment, and quality report generation. Track cash, check, and online donations and send written gift acknowledgment, keeping records up to date.
- Support donor, patron, and sponsor cultivation. Draft communication, sending out promotional offers and incentives.
- Assist in the identification of potential grants and in the preparation of grant applications. Research funders using the internet, search engines, and databases, generating data, and proofreading applications.
Marketing and Promotion
- Assist in maintaining the Mankato Symphony Orchestra website and social media consistent with communications and marketing plans. Create and post approved content for Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter, keeping all links and content updated on the MSO website.
- Support the timely and professional implementation of marketing and communications plans. Assist with promotional materials, drafting communications as directed including press releases, requests for ad space and air time, purchasing advertising, and assisting at promotional events. Ensure Board, staff, patrons, public volunteers, and orchestra members have accurate and timely event communications.
- Act as a liaison with musicians and soloists to acquire up-to-date biographies and photos for marketing.
- Coordinate intern and volunteer involvement. Assign and monitor special project progress.
- Use direct-service volunteer resources effectively to assist the Association in meeting its goals and to make the experience meaningful for the Association’s volunteers.
- Assist direct-service volunteers as necessary to help ensure the success of their activities.
Preferred Skills (not required)
- Graphic design experience
- Social media and email marketing · Event planning experience
- Customer service experience ·Nonprofit experience
- Musical background or interest in music
- 8am-5pm Monday through Friday
- Some nights and weekends required on concert performance and fundraiser dates.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.00 /hour
- Marketing Communications: 1 year (Preferred)
- Administrative Coordination: 3 years (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Morning (Required)
- Mid-Day (Required)
- Evening (Preferred)